Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

My computer stops booting during POST returning error code 14, said to be "LAN initialization" within CPU tests according to intel doc but without recommendation on cause or solution.

The screen remains black and there is no warning beep. The computer has been running reliably for 6 years and I have not performed anything special on it recently: no BIOS update, no hardware change, no re-cabling... The only potential cause is that we are drying some walls in the apartment and there are a lot of current-hungry machines running concurrently, occasionally causing the circuit breaker to fall and hence power outages. I have tried replacing the CMOS battery but it does not seem to have an effect. The problem first appeared as a screen freeze while my son was watching a video on YouTube in the early morning, then systematically at all following boot/reboot attempts.

The motherboard is a intel DZ77BH-55K (with intel chipset Z77 Express and CPU socket LGA1155) with an i7-3770K CPU (4x3.5 GHz and 8MB cache) with original CPU fan and two Kingston Technology (8 GB DDR3 1600MHz) RAM units. The PSU is a Cooler Master GX 650W Bronze and the graphics card is an ASUS GeForce GTX660-DirectCU II with 2GB of GDDR5 memory on it. The boot disk (with Windows 10 OS) is a SSD 250 GB SAMSUNG 840 Evo while two Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB HDD are installed in RAID configuration for data. There are also a Lite On IHBS112 Blu-ray disk recorder and SAMSUNG 118AB/BEBE DVD ROM player installed. Additionally, a WiFi PCI adapter Edimax EW-7711In is plugged, but I cannot imagine it to play a big role.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Brown outs and failures are killer for computer systems.

Have you tried powering on with the Back-to-BIOS button on the back panel engaged?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The result is the same (error 14) except that the Board Status LED D is glowing red (as it should). The other board status LEDs remain unlit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I know that this is difficult, but could you document the POST code sequence prior to the point of hang? If it is happening too fast to write down, make a video with call phone.

In many cases, the POST code shown at hang is the last completed operation. POST code 0x14 is part of the Platform Early Initialization (PEI) sequence. It is unclear from the example POST Code sequence whether this is followed by memory or PCI bus initialization. Two experiments to perform:

1. Remove all DIMMs and power on. Do you get the no-memory beep code?
  2. Can you try running with all PCI/PCIe cards removed? This would include the removal of any video card present; if you have one, you will need to convert to using the onboard graphics (plug monitor into back panel.

...S

0 Kudos