Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11360 Discussions

New BIOS version for H67 boards, 0156

idata
Community Manager

Any problems with this bios in DH67BL motherboards?

Thanks

HAS

0 Kudos
31 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Thanks Intel for releasing 0156 .. NOT!

I hate to say it, but updating from 0155 to 0156 on my DH67BL brings me nothing but a fan control that's not doing anything. Yes I have reset to bios defaults, yes I have tried loading fan defaults.

0156 will kill both - my water cooling solution and the 3770 .. so back to 0155 for me!

idata
Community Manager

I don´t understand, I have update to 0156 on my DH67BL motherboard and everyhing is OK including the fan control, in fact I don´t see any diferences between 0155 and 0156.

HAS

idata
Community Manager

Yeah well .. maybe I'm just the one exception, but that's ok with me. 0155 is working fine here. Maybe it just takes Intel a 0157 to let me set rear fan control back to 100% manually and doesn't keep my front fans spinning at 100% al the time instead

idata
Community Manager

Intel, please remove BIOS 0156 (BLH6710H.86A) from the download area of mobo DH67CF.

After installing 0156 and loading BIOS- and fan-control defaults, fan-control does not work any more - all fans keep running at 100 %. Even adjusting the minimum duty-cycle has no effect.

-> Downgrading to BIOS 0155 resolves the issue immediately.

idata
Community Manager

Like I said before, I have update to 0156 my DH67BL board and everything is OK, and I didn`t notice any diference.

I update with a pen drive with the BIO file and F7, and everything is working fine including control fan, it`s very strange what hapened to you, perhaps another configuration. My configuration is: I7 2600k, 8 Gb ddr3 1333 Mz Kingston, HDD Seagate 1 TB, Graphic card Gygabyte Nvidia GTX 560, power Cooler Master GX 550W, and Windows 7 home premium 64 bits.

I'm glad if I have helped

Bye

HAS

idata
Community Manager

Of course it is an other configuration - the mobo´s are already different (like I wrote before, I use the DH67CF).

Processors are different as well - I use an i5-2405S.

But I´m eperiencing the same issues like proteinshake ?!

The "lowest common denominator" seems to be BIOS 156...

idata
Community Manager

Actually the DH67BL is the CF without the onboard firewire. Damn 0156!

idata
Community Manager

0156 is used on DH67BL, DH67CF, DH67CL, DH67GD, DH67VR.

Look at this: "DH67BL and CIR Receiver not working" /message/160148# 160148 http://communities.intel.com/message/160148# 160148

He uses BIOS 0156

idata
Community Manager

Maybe Intel switched Fan Control with CIR? That would be funny controling your fans via remote control. Let's see if he's still having the problems with 0155.

A changelog would be really nice here ..

idata
Community Manager

Fine, you already told him...

Thanks to Intel - at least two customers have some fun due to a buggy BIOS...

idata
Community Manager

There you go. 0156 seems to mess up fan control on more than just my board. If you read this Intel ..

idata
Community Manager

Here comes one of those annoying "works for me!" responses

Board: DH67BL, 0156 BIOS

CPU Fan header: Scythe PWM (rear fan)

Rear Fan header: Noctua non-PWM (CPU fan)

Front Fan header: Fractal non-PWM (front fan)

(the reason for the above configuration is the CPU Fan header only has PWM control)

The following is after I updated from 0151 to 0156 and loaded BIOS defaults. The images show what the BIOS setup and SpeedFan screens display after saving BIOS settings & rebooting (note SpeedFan's fan control is off - it's taking readings only):

Control Mode: Auto

Min. Duty Cycle: 30 (20 for CPU Fan header)

Max. Duty Cycle: 100

Control Mode: Manual

Min. Duty Cycle: 50

Control Mode: Manual

Min. Duty Cycle: 100

Must be something more subtle causing the problems some people are having than outright breaking of the functionality. Only difference I noticed going from 0151 to 0156 is the "Fan Control & Real Time Monitoring" screen now displays which fan you've assigned to each header, which is a welcome change. My normal configuration is to have all the fans set to manual, 100% in the BIOS and let SpeedFan control the fans, and this seems to be working the same after the BIOS update.

idata
Community Manager

Obviously it would be way too easy if everyone had the same bug Arctic Cooling F12 PWM fans all around. Corsair H60 water pump attached to rear.

0155 CPU - Auto, Rear - forced 100% duty cycle, Front - Auto:

0156 Bios / Fan defaults:

0156 CPU - Auto, Rear - forced 100% duty cycle, Front - forced 30% duty cycle:

idata
Community Manager

While reading your last post it became clear I didn't read the earlier posts properly to understand the actual problem. So I redid the tests, and it appears Intel has perhaps got the front and rear fan header settings back to front in 0156 At first I thought I made a mistake while testing, but I triple-checked.

CPU fan header is Auto (20-100) for all tests. Front and Rear headers set to Manual with Min. Duty Cycle as specified below.

Front Fan Header 100, Rear Fan Header 100

Front Fan Header 30, Rear Fan Header 30

Front Fan Header 100, Rear Fan Header 30

Front Fan Header 30, Rear Fan Header 100

System Info

Note that neither of the fans I have connected to the Front/Rear header are PWM, so that's one significant difference from your configuration.

idata
Community Manager

True. But it's save to say Intel did something wrong with 0156, isn't it?

Oh and thanks for re-testing btw.!

idata
Community Manager

So glad I found this thread. I've been trying to troubleshoot a fan control issue with Intel for the last several days with no solution. Started after I updated my BIOS to 0156.

I have this board and 2 4-pin PWM fans, a CPU and a System fan. After updating my BIOS to 0156 my system fan no longer would vary its speed based on temperature and PWM control. It was stuck on at 100%. My CPU fan was fine. I ran through a number of troubleshooting steps with Intel and still it was stuck at 100%. Even rolled back to the previous 2 versions of the BIOS and still stuck at 100%. At that point we thought it was a system fan header hardware issue.

Interestingly enough I then downloaded SpeedFan and discovered it did properly change fan speed on my system fan. So that led me to believe that it very well could be a BIOS/software issue. Then found this thread.

So I used the recover method to go back to 0155 but that didn't quite do it. What did it was changing my LABEL on my fan (a poster in this thread led me down that path) to a different label. I rebooted and PWM was working again. I then changed it back to my original label and PWM BIOS control was still working.

So I'm back to 0155 with 2 working PWM fans. But changing the label seemed to solve it for me. It's possible that might also work with 0156 but at this point I don't want to chance it not working again. But very odd that a label change got it working again. Maybe the change itself cleared a setting that was keeping it 100% on. Strange.

NSCOTT_P_Intel
Employee

Here's that I can tell you...

First some background: The Environmental Monitoring and Fan Speed Control (FSC) software stack utilizes a configuration control block that is stored separate from the BIOS's configuration control block. This is to facilitate the stack obtaining the configuration in runtime environments (such as Windows*). When you change a parameter (either via BIOS Setup or Intel(R) Integrator Toolkit (ITK)), the BIOS must copy the appropriate information to this separate control block. The same thing must happen when applications (like Intel(R) Desktop Utilities (IDU)) make changes to the health thresholds.

Now the situation: Somehow, during the BIOS update process, the FSC configuration control block is getting corrupted with bad data. The FSC software is seeing that this is the case and it stops its initialization of the fan speed control hardware as a result (hence the reason why some or all of the fan controllers are stuck at 100% duty cycle; this is their power-on default). We do not know why this problem is occurring. Our attempts to reproduce this in the factory have all failed; it simply isn't happening for us. We continue to attempt to reproduce it, however...

Workaround: Forcing the BIOS to update the FSC Configuration control block is all that is required. This can be accomplished in many ways, restoring the BIOS configuration to defaults or restoring only the fan speed control configuration to defaults is usually sufficient. Changing the label - or any other parameter, for that matter - should also accomplish the same thing (any change will cause the BIOS to rewrite the entire FSC configuration control block). I just want to make sure that you understand that a change to a Usage parameter - the "label" as you call it - in and of itself is not fixing anything; it is the side-effect of the control block being written that is accomplishing it. Changing the Usage parameters makes to material difference to the fan speed control configuration; they are, as you say, nothing but labels; they are there to help applications (like IDU) identify how fans and sensors are being used within the system...

As I said, we are continuing to look into why the corruption is occurring. In the meantime, you have this workaround to get you back to where you need to be. Sorry for the inconvenience...

...Scott

idata
Community Manager

Scott,

Thank you for your response clarifying and acknowledging the issue. I'm glad to hear that Intel is aware of the issue and is attempting to fix it. It's been a difficult issue for me to try and troubleshoot, with Intel's help, over the last several days. Your explanation makes alot of sense in terms of what is happening.

A few comments on your workaround suggestion. This may or may not help as you investigate this further.

- Restoring the BIOS configuration to defaults did not fix the issue for me when I was troubleshooting and trying to restore PWM control to my system/chassis/outlet fan. I did this many times. I also changed values in the fan configuration. Went from automatic to manual, different duty cycle settings and back to defaults. None of these fixed the problem. Not sure why. Yet the fan connected to the CPU header always worked under PWM control no matter what changes I made to settings or BIOS.

- This issue arose when I updated the BIOS to 0156. I subsequently rolled back to different releases prior to 0156 and again adjusted fan control settings and the system fan stayed on at 100%.

- While I was still troubleshooting and trying to fix the problem I did discover that an alternative fan control application, SpeedFan, did work properly which got me thinking it was a BIOS/SW issue again and not a hardware/header issue.

- I rolled back one more time to 0155. Again the problem remained even if I changed to defaults or adjusted fan control duty cycle settings. It was only when I changed the usage label (there was a clue to this effect in another post on the Intel forum) that I regained PWM control. I understand that what ended up happening was a complete rewrite of the configuration control block. But for whatever reason this did not happen for me in my case via restoring defaults. Only the label change made the difference so for me that was the only thing that would flush/rewrite the configuration control block.

So for now I'm staying with 0155. It sounds like it could potentially work with 0156 but I'm not willing to risk it again at this point as my fan control is working exactly how I want it to.

idata
Community Manager

I can confirm two cases of 156 causing the case fan to run at 100%. I'd been using a DH67CF for a year with the stock i3 cooler and a Gelid 120mm PWM case fan. It was so quiet I couldn't hear the system running. Something happened and the board went dead. I RMA'd it and the replacement board shipped with BIOS rev76. I didn't take note of the system noise. First thing I did was update to the latest BIOS which was rev156. The case fan only, not the CPU fan, went to 100%. I swapped the two fans' connectors and the stock cooler went to 100% on the case fan header. I RMA'd this replacement board thinking it was defective.

When board # 3 arrived it shipped with rev76. This time I noticed that the system ran nice and quiet. I updated to 156 and it got loud again. I couldn't believe it. Now that I knew it had to be a BIOS issue I searched and found this thread.

I can concur that dropping to 155 alone did not fix the issue. In one visit to the BIOS, I loaded defaults and changed the fan label to Chassis. As soon as exited saving changes, the noise dropped. I'm back to where I should be.

I tried all of the reset/change label tricks on 156 and nothing helped. I had to go down to 155 before I got relief.

Scott, thanks so much for acknowledging the issue here. It is the only reason I am still planning to buy the new itx H77 board for my next build.

idata
Community Manager

Scott,

I too have had the problem with the case fan running at 100% after updating my DH67CF to V1.56 from an earlier version (1.3x?) and clearing the FSC configuration block as you suggest has NOT fixed the problem.But I do have some info which may help you tracing the bug.

Before the upgrade, I was using Speedfan to monitor fan speeds, temps etc, but control of the fan speeds from the windows software was (as you would expect) disabled since the BIOS fan speed control was enabled-

After the BIOS update, the case fan ran at 100% but speedfan was now able to control the case fan speed despite the BIOS speed control (supposedly) being enabled! As before speedfan could not control the CPU fan speed, which continued under BIOS control.

The BIOS is now labelling the case fan as "Outlet (Rear Fan Header)" and is reporting the correct speed (full) but the BIOS control is inoperative.

Speedfan is reporting the Rear Fan Speed as zero, and does not offer any fan speed control for this. It is reporting the case fan speed as the FRONT fan speed and it is this which it is able to change the speed of.

From my days as a software developer, it looks to me as if the v 1.56 BIOS is controlling the wrong fan header (one that is not present on the DH67CF), hence allowing Speedfan acess to control the correct header!