Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWies4
Novice

New Graphics card, PC won´t boot

So, happy as can be, I just replaced my old EVGA GeForce GT 220 with a gorgeous EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti FTW.

I hook it up, install the drivers and I'm asked to restart it, so I do it. As it came back up, well, it didn't, it's stuck on the bios load screen, where you're asked to press F# for settings, update, boot menu, that stuff. It just beeps a couple times, a minute in between, then screen goes black and I get the old DOS "_" cursor alone, top left corner. From there on, dead.

If I take out the card and use the default from the motherboard, it runs like a charm. I uninstalled all the nVidia drivers and controllers, in hopes that'll let me start over, but no luck so far. The BIOS needed some heavy updating. Luckily there´s your update tool so it's just click and wait. However, all updates ran and installed and no joy still.

Here's what I've tried with the card: Put the old card back in (EVGA GeForce GT 220), and download the 347.09 driver from NVidia.com/drivers , but did not install any yet. Removed all installed nVidia drivers, through control panel. Shut down, and install the 750ti card, without installing any drivers yet. Turn back on, same deal, no joy.

I noticed the updater for the BIOS said everything was done, but the chipset update still shows an older version. I re-ran that part of the update twice, and it said successful, but still shows the old version. This one is out of my league I'm afraid. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the asssist in advance!

Here's my core rig:

-Intel Desktop Motherboard, 7 Series, DH77EB

-Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.40GHz

-KMEX PK-500, 500W power source

-2x Ballistix 4GB Sport DDR3 - 1600 ram chips

-EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti FTW

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi JuanCaWa, I do not fully understand the last paragraph.

What is the BIOS version you have installed?

Does the new graphics card work when installed in a different system? If yes, do the manufacturer offers a firmware update?

JWies4
Novice

Hey thanks for the reply Joe. Let me clarify the last paragraph:

I used the Intel® Driver Update Utility to get the BIOS up to date. Out of all the updates it ran, 3 failed:

-Intel® ME 8: Management Engine Driver

Nothing happens when installing. It just says "Installing" for 10secs or so, then "Failed" and moves on to the next

-Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® Desktop Boards

Does the whole thing, says it finished successfully, but the tool states it's still in a 2009 version afterwards and states "Failed" as well

-Infrared: Nuvoton* Consumer Infrared (CIR) Driver for Windows 8.1*

I'm running Win7, and I don't have any CIR stuff, so no worries.

About the card, yes, they have a ton of drivers and installers for me, but I can't get any running without the hardware installed, and it won't boot when installed. Catch 21 kinda thing.

Anyway, I'll get back to you on the BIOS version when I get home. Thanks again Joe!

JWies4
Novice

Here's the BIOS version and date: EBH7710H.86A.0053.2012.0213.1543, 2/13/2012

Just in case, SMBIOS shows 2.7

Thanks!

JWies4
Novice

Just after I posted the BIOS version, I noticed it did not update. So, I did the update via USB flash drive. It wen't through ok, but Win7 is failing to start. Keeps getting better! I'll reach back to you once I can get it re-installed. Any tips in the meantime?

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

What is the BIOS version you installed? You can confirm by entering in BIOS with F2.

JWies4
Novice

Here's the new BIOS: EBH7710H.86A

JWies4
Novice

Eh, sorry, missed the .0103 in the end

JWies4
Novice

Thanks Joe! I finally solved the problem. I couldn't ever get it to work on Win7 32b, bit works like a charm on 64b. Both are quoted as good under sys requirements for the card, in their website, so I did go to them too. Still, the assistance you provided did help me figure it all out, so you have my thanks.

Cheers to ya Joe!