Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

New video card not running at the right PCIe speed

I just replaced my GTX 960 with a GTX 980 Ti that I got from a friend. It does work but odd things are happening so I decided to poke around in the BIOS and I noticed that it is detecting as a X16 card but looks like it is running at X4 (See attached pic). In a couple of games I've noticed that if I run the graphics high that it will either reboot the computer or run extremely laggy. And many times it will not even boot unless I turn off the power switch on the power supply and turn it back on. Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Well, which motherboard? Also sounds like this could be a good question for the manufacturer of the cards.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry about that...wrote it in a hurry this morning. The motherboard is:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0S3WK3440 Intel BOXDQ67SWB3 LGA 1155 Intel Q67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Your newegg link is not working. Here is the Intel link on your board:

http://ark.intel.com/products/51997/Intel-Desktop-Board-DQ67SW Intel® Desktop Board DQ67SW Product Specifications

There are likely compatibility problems with the GTX 980 Ti card. The boards supports PCIe x16 2.0, while the cards are PCIe x16 3.0. They may claim backward compatibility, but this compatibility is often hit or miss.

Are both cards from the same manufacturer?

While I do not believe this to be the case, have you updated the bios of the board?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/51997/Intel-Desktop-Board-DQ67SW Downloads for Intel® Desktop Board DQ67SW

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'll check the brands tonight...I don't think they are the same brand. One thing I read on-line was that it might be related to UEFI so I enabled that on my board this morning. When I did that the X4 changed to X1 so I'm thinking that isn't the speed it is running at but something else. Anyway after I made that change the system seems to shut down and boot more consistently but still a bit buggy. An improvement either way. I just did that quickly this morning before going to work so I haven't had time to test it yet. I'll do some gaming tonight and see if it is any better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Well the computer is running much better after enabling the UEFI. It no longer reboots or lags badly when set on the highest game settings. The only issue now is I still have to flip the power supply off then on again to start the computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Al Hill, thank you for your contribution.

To InspGadgt: good to know the system is running better.

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post in case you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos