Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PLars1
Novice

Old BOXDX79SR went bunkers ... (beep code help)

I have an old BOX DX79SR that unfortunately is listed as "legacy" by Intel at this point. Long story short, woke up to total SSD disk crash and after replacing that, I get constant beeping from a WORKING system - it's driving me nuts

I get 4 beeps in groups of 4 and a little pause, then it repeats. I have not been able to find these beeps in the official manual (3 beeps is tops) - I found another list of "legacy beep codes" that says 4 beeps means "timer not operational" which led me to replace the CMOS battery even though the bios was just fine etc. - anyway, I did that and RIGHT AWAY it went away. I then reinstalled the graphics card and more, added new replacement drives, closed the case and - well, the beeps are back.

I'm hoping someone knows what they indicate. I have a new battery in the case, I'm not getting battery errors and "timer not operational" while it may be the RTC, it could mean a ton of things. The system IS operational - I reinstalled on a new HDD successfully while the beeps are driving me nuts.

Hopefully someone knows what the 4x4 beeps mean.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

4 Beeps that all sound the same? Or is it alternating high and low tones?

I went through the various versions of the BIOS POST Code documents. I am not seeing this particular combination used for anything other than for Thermal Warnings (but this is with alternating high/low tones).

One old document I found talks about 4 Beeps being used as a debug feature, indicating that support for a BIOS protocol is missing. This makes little sense in this case, however, as this would be the exact opposite situation.

I have a query into some of the BIOS engineers to see if they can think of any other meanings, I will let you know when I get a result (unfortunately, this is coming to their inboxes as the weekend is upon them).

...S

PLars1
Novice

Btw. I'm not sure who wrote the manual, but I was first rather stressed then had a laughing fit, that the frequencies of the beeps were used to differentiate them. Sorry, how am I to tell THAT?

PLars1
Novice

I found this link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005473/boards-and-kits.html BIOS Beep Codes for Intel® Desktop Boards which lists 4 as "timer not operational" (as I indicated). It's been hard to find something reliable using google on this. Lots of different causes depending on the specific bios vendor/version.

PLars1
Novice

I recorded the beeps because I wasn't sure if it was 3 or 4 beeps:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FnAl77e2ma1-kjwoYscG7ECGHXxt9ZIZ beeps.wav - Google Drive

The last beep is my phone alerting me to something So I turned it off before all 4 repetitions were done. I can re-record it if desired.

PLars1
Novice

NO MORE BEEPS!

This is very strange - I had the computer on over night to work on restoring a lot of the stuff it was doing went it went poof (well, the SSD went poof). The beeps were so irritating that I had to choice of trying to pull out the speaker or just work from a different location - so I worked on the system all day and long into the night with beeps going on. I heard the beeps when I went to bed - but this morning, no more beeps!

From the status lights I think there's still an issue, so the speaker may just be dead from all that beeping. I'll update if I find that's the case. But for now, it sorta resolved itself which is really strange. The system was NOT rebooted - and the beeping starts during POST - before the INTEL Desktop splash screen is displayed. So it's not OS related.

n_scott_pearson

I talked to a couple of the BIOS engineers who worked on boards during that period. They do not remember using any 4-beep beep codes. Some thought that it might be ME related, but I find that hard to believe (the ME was used for very little in that design, mostly just CPU and PCH power sequencing and initialization). What they did agree on is to try a fresh reinstall of the latest available BIOS, using the jumper-based BIOS Recovery process.

Hope this helps,

...S

n_scott_pearson

Oh, and I re-read your post # 3 and had a good laugh over it. They are talking about the sound frequency (i.e. 10Khz vs 5Khz) used for the beeps, not the frequency of the beeps themselves (i.e. half second apart vs quarter second apart). You should be able to differentiate this...

...S

PLars1
Novice

Thanks Scott, this is the "latest" (it's from 2014 - the latest I can find on intel's side). I actually flashed it again just to be sure - but that didn't make any difference. During the actual flash, the beeps stopped (of course) but as soon as the BIOS started POST, the beeps came back.

As I noted in a different comment, the beeps stopped by themselves overnight .... the system is running fine now (as well as before the SSD crash) but I'm still stumbled by what that beep-code was for.

I talked to a couple of the BIOS engineers who worked on boards during that period. They do not remember using any 4-beep beep codes. Some thought that it might be ME related, but I find that hard to believe (the ME was used for very little in that design, mostly just CPU and PCH power sequencing and initialization). What they did agree on is to try a fresh reinstall of the latest available BIOS, using the jumper-based BIOS Recovery process.

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

Did you say if the Event Log in the BIOS displayed an error other than the battery being replaced? Have you tried a different power supply?

PLars1
Novice

Did you say if the Event Log in the BIOS displayed an error other than the battery being replaced? Have you tried a different power supply?

I don't have anything in the BIOS event log. I would have expected to see the POST error that the battery was low/dead - and I didn't see any such code (but still replaced the battery due to some google'ing mentioned it as a potential cause for the error beeps).

I have not replaced the power-supply. So far I have had no reasons to think the issue was there - but I'll definitely keep that in mind. How come you think it may be a PSU issue? Would the system come up if the 12v was bad (or any of the other feeds)?