cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Overclocking a xeon on an Intel® Desktop Board DG43RK

Hi,

I recently upgraded an old pc to make a low budget gaming pc.

I've swapped my intel pentium e6600 with a xeon x3360 cpul, and was wondering if the motherboard even supports OC. If it does can i please get directed to an overclocking guide for this kind of cpu? Also in the specs there are two different sticks of ram one in 1300mhz other one is 1600 will that be a problem for overclocking? 

Full specs:

CPU - Intel Xeon X3360   (not installed yet)

CPU Fan - Arctic freezer 13 CO   (not installed yet)

Motherboard - Intel Desktop Board DG43RK

Ram - First stick G.Skill f3-10600cl9s-4gbnt 

Second Stick Kingston k531r8-hya   (not installed yet)

PSU - astrix  P-4 500w ATX12V

GPU - Gigabye Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB GDDR5   (not installed yet)

Storage - Sandisk 480GB SSD + WD caviar blue 500GB HDD

Case - Generic mid tower case with 2 arctic f8 exhuast fans and one 120mm fan on the side panel directed to the GPU/CPU.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Re: Overclocking a xeon on an Intel® Desktop Board DG43RK

Did you verify that your Rockfish board's AA number is on the list of those supporting this processor? You need to have E78175-300, E78175-401, E78175-402, E78175-403 or E78175-404 to support the X3360. The AA number is on a sticker on the board that lists both the board's serial number and AA number (you'll see "AA" preceding this number).

When you mix memory speeds, the speed of the slower DIMM (i.e. 1333) will be used. If the DIMMs worked with your E6600, they should work with this X3360.

To be honest, my recollection of the board is not too good. This was a long time ago (2010) and, since I do not overclock myself, it's not one of those tidbits of information that sticks in my brain. Go into BIOS Setup and see what capabilities it offers there.

I did, however, find some files related to this board in my archive, including the last BIOS update. Sorry, but I failed to save the Release Notes to go with it; maybe @AlHill can fire up the WayBack machine and check if this file is available (he's good at these searches). I have attached a ZIP file containing these files.

Highlighted
New Contributor I

Neither processor is supported by XTU.  XTU only supports X and K processors.

The E6500K , however, is supported.

The list of supported processors, and there are very, very, few X/K processors in the list.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DG43RK.pdf

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Thanks Al. One of these days you are going to have to show me how you find your way to these files.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

No problem.  It is a combination of ARK and Wayback. 

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Isn't my cpu considered a X cpu?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I do not see it in the list.

Doc