Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

PC Express 3.0 video card on Intel DX58SO motherboard?

My PCI-e 2.0 video card (ASUS GTX285) died and need a replacement for my performance PC. Unfortunately the local market is not very varied and I see there are some PCI Express 3.0 cards (nVidia GeForce GT640). Can I use those with my motherboard? which slot is better for video cards, the PCI, PCI-e x1, PCI-e x16?

I need to replace this soon as my work depends on this computer.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Most of the New cards are Backwards compatible.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Most Of the new cards are Backwards compatible.

idata
Community Manager

Any particular way of knowing? spending $350+ on a new video card only to find out this motherboard (DX58SO) can't handle it (or the card) would be an expensive mistake.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Contact the card MFG. and they will tell you about Backwards compatibility. But I am pretty sure they will work More over my main concern is does your power supply have the juice to run the new card Most of the 7000 series cards need 70 watts to run right .

KNoro
New Contributor I

The GTX 285 requires more power than the GT640.If you say your card died.You should check your power supply.Check the wattage on the +12v rail.The GTX285 needs 42amps or higher. While the GT 640 needs 20 amps or higher.So check your power supply before you upgrade to any cards.Maybe that is what caused your old card to die.As for the PCIE being compatible version 3.0 is backwards compatible with version 2.0.Just check the power supply.

idata
Community Manager

For the sake of troubleshooting I removed the GTX285 and replaced it with a much cheaper, less power hungry (30W) nVidia GT210.

I have a Cooler Master RS-620 power supply rated at 620W and if I remember correctly each of the three +12 rails can deliver 19 Amperes. The GTX285 was powered in the motherboard by (a) the PCI-e connector and (b) TWO additional power supply connectors.

I have checked the voltage on the +12V rail but it remains at +12. However, now even with the new low power card the system is getting sudden black screens where the system fails. So the video goes away until I restart the system. It may last a couple of minutes, at most 15-20 minutes and in a few cases 3+ hours.