Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MXavi2
Beginner

PCI express 2.0(x4) works with SSD PCIe 3.0 (x4) M.2 NVMe?

Hi, DH87mc motherboard has a black 2.0 (x4) pci express connector, right? There are some pci express adaptors that make possible to connect a ssd pci express 3.0 (x4) M.2 NVMe to a pci express 3.0, ok? I want to know if it's possible connecting an SSD PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe to the PCIe 2.0 (x4) connector. If possible, will it work faster than a SSD Sata?

Other point: is it safe installing the O.S. at a SSD mSATA vaseky? Can you help me? Thks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

That is correct; the MC board has a x16 PCIe connector that is actually only x4 electrically. You can install a PCIe NVMe card in this slot and access it at runtime (with a sufficient driver and UEFI enabled), but you cannot boot from it. The 8 Series boards were released prior to the NVMe specification being ratified and thus their BIOSs do not have support for booting from NVMe drives. You must boot from some other non-NVMe drive.

I have never heard of a Vaseky drives before you mentioned it. I do see entries for these drives in Amazon, but I don't see any of these drives as having had compatibility testing performed with them. In theory, if they meet the specification for a mSATA SSD, then they should work.

Hope this helps,

...S

MXavi2
Beginner

Thanks for your help. I don't see any drivers for windows 10. Aren't they released yet?

MXavi2
Beginner

Well, if you have the same doubt, there goes the answer.

https://youtu.be/L6kZO_r0hco

n_scott_pearson

NVMe drivers are built into Windows 8.1 and 10. Microsoft also released a back-port of these drivers for Windows 7 (see here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2990941/update-to-add-native-driver-support-in-nvm-express-...), but I have never played with it. Samsung and Toshiba/OCZ have released their own custom NVMe drivers for use with specific SSD products. These custom drivers support Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. I have not used the Samsung drivers myself, but I have (very) successfully used the Toshiba/OCZ drivers with a RD400 SSD when running Windows 7 on a Skull Canyon NUC (NUC6i7KYK). I haven't tried them on my Kinsley (DZ87KLT-75K) Desktop Board, however.

Alas, the issue remains: You cannot boot from these drives if the UEFI implementation does not specifically include NVMe support - and this is the case for all of the Intel 8 Series Desktop Boards.

Hoped this helps,

...S

MXavi2
Beginner

Hmmm, I meant DH87mc's drivers to W10.

n_scott_pearson

There are no drivers for Windows 10. Windows 10 did not exist when this board was productized. In fact, however, all of the drivers necessary are built into Windows 10 (well, except for RST support) so you don't need any separate drivers.

...S

P.S. I would recommend that, if you are going to install Windows 10 onto this board, you enable UEFI and ensure that GPT partitioning is used.

AlHill
Super User

And, if you plan on using an Intel msata, do not. Without the long explanation, trust me.

Doc

MXavi2
Beginner

Another brand would work good? Like Vaseky and other chinese stuff?

MXavi2
Beginner

I installed Windows 10 the day before yesterday. It's working good, but after I turn windows off, the computer turns on again. 😕

n_scott_pearson

Regarding the shutdown failure, have you got the latest available BIOS installed?

I have a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO mSATA SSD installed and working fine in my DZ87KLT-75K board (big brother to the DH87MC).

Hope this helps,

...S