Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NNira
Beginner

Please help. DX79TO cannot boot with 4x2gb 1333mhz 7-7-7-21-2t ram. Motherboard displays ram related issues but these rams do work on other boards.

I have also tried putting only one ram stick and still the same errors show up. However if i put the ram stick in the black slots I get three beeps, which means memory issue. But no beeps when placed in the blue slots. Is it cause of the timings. This board is brand new. Mother displays errors on the seven segment display, the codes are b7, b9, 2a. I think these codes are related to memory issues as well. I have ordered 2x4gb 1600mhz cl9 ram sticks, once they arrive I will test them. my cpu is xeon e5 2680.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, what you are seeing displayed are Power-On Self-Test (POST) codes. For the most part, they are NOT error indicators; they are progress indicators. They indicate that the BIOS has reached certain points in its initialization processes. From the standpoint of debug, we are interested in the last code that is displayed before things seem to hang. If this code is 0x2A, it is an indicator of a hang occurring while testing memory accesses.

What is the full part number(s) for these DIMMs? Do they actually meet the memory requirements for the board and processor used? That is, do they operate by default at either 1.35V (DDR3L) or 1.5V (DDR3) per the JEDEC specification? Are they unbuffered and do they utilize 1/2/4 Gb memory technology in a x8 organization (Hint: x16 organization is NOT supported)? Do they properly provide a SPD that defines their default operating configuration and, if 1600 MHz or higher speeds are supported, does the SPD provide valid XMP profiles for all supported speeds?

What are the full part numbers for the replacement DIMMs that are coming? Only 2 DIMMs? Peak performance (i.e. full interleaved access via all four memory controllers) requires 4 DIMMs.

What happens if you power on the system with the Back-to-BIOS button engaged (this button is on the board's back panel and it will light up to show that it is engaged when the system is powered on)? If the system powers on and enters BIOS Setup while this button is engaged, use the F9 button to reset the BIOS configuration to default and then F10 to exit saving the modified BIOS configuration. When the splash screen reappears, power off, disengage the button and then power on again. If you see the splash screen and can press F2 and enter BIOS Setup, you are good to go (I would then use MemTest86+ to fully test the memory).

Hop this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello Niravk1997,

Please refer to post # 1, try following these suggestions and let us know how it goes. Bear in mind that you have a Legacy Intel® Desktop Board, drivers and BIOS updates are limited to those that can found here; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55800/Intel-Desktop-Board-DX79TO Downloads for Intel® Desktop Board DX79TO.

Regards,

Amy.

NNira
Beginner

Hi, so newer memory arrived. I tested them and the same symptoms occur as before. Theses newer ram sticks have been confirmed to work on other dx79to board users. I was able to see the initial bios screen(no system info) but after that, black screen and then it stays there. The way i can see a glimpse of the bios screen is by putting board in recovery mode then allowing it to finish the bios recovery process and finally hitting reset button. I can only see the screen a few times by doing it this way. This is the newer ram, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006WAGGUK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00: Amazon.… . After trying many things such as cmos battery removal to clear bios settings, I now come to conclusion that this brand new motherboard is defective.

On the other hand, my x38 motherboard( Asus maximus extreme) which should only support max 8gb ram has gladly accepted these newer ram and i run them with my older ram. On this board, I now have 12gb ram!, 2x4gb and 2x2gb, at 1333mhz dual channel speed. Isn't that something, also i should mention that I have done the lag 771 775 mod on it, that could explain the board supporting more than 8gb ram.

So you see, it wasn't all bad. Now I am engaged in a conversation with the seller to convince him to take the board back. Well, unitl next time.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Make sure you understand, "new" is NOT "new". They may be calling is a "new" board because it is in a box that hasn't ever been opened, but these boards haven't been built for a number of years (since 2013, I think), and, if it is truly a box that has never been opened, the board inside it has still been deteriorating ever since (can you say "dead stock")...

NNira
Beginner

Well, its not new new, it came in a non-oem plastic box. So, ya, I don't think its brand new.

idata
Community Manager

My recommendation is to stick with the supported memory configurations and the fully tested memory which you can find here http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000006989.html System Memory for the Intel® Desktop Board DX79TO. The reason why I am suggesting this for the availability of the drivers and BIOS. Bear in mind that it's difficult to troubleshoot and diagnose your motherboard taking into consideration that your motherboard is from 2011.

Regards,

Amy.