cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Possible Problem with Video Card

Hello,

I have just registered in the forums and I would like some help with the following problem.

My desktop computer at home is randomly rebooting since a month ago.

I have been trying to gather more information since them, and what I have discovered is that it's only reboots when I'm playing a Computer Game that uses the video card.

Just using it for other stuff seems no problem. Playing old games that don't use too much of video, also shows no problem, as far as I noticed. Playing games like, Dota 2, Dragon Age 2, at Steam does make the computer reboots without a warning.

I have checked the temperature of the video card and the other pieces, and all of them are working on a good temperature.

I have run some Softwares to diagnostic the problems and some monitor Softwares.

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tools - Shows no errors.

HWmonitor - Shows all is fine with temperature.

OCCT - Fine for memory and CPU. When i run the GPU test it reboots the machine.

Windows Memory Test - Shows no errors.

Here is more information:

System: Windows 7 Professional (Service Pack 1)

Motherboeard: Intel DX79SI

BIOS Version: SIX7910J.86A.0650.2014.0307.0138

CPU: Intel Core I7 3820

Memory: 16GB (4x 4MB) - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 / 2000mhz

Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (EVGA)

Video Driver Version: 340.52

Storage: Samsung SSD 250 GB

LIFE TIME: The memories, video card, Cpu, motherboard and power suply have about 1 year and 4 months of usage, the SSD have nearly 6 months of usage.

Event View Logs:

Application Log Error:

- Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99"

could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

System Log Error:

- The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE# VOLUME# _??_USBSTOR# DISK&VEN_KINGSTON&PROD_DT_101_G2&REV_PMAP# 001CC0EC3456EB40F00000FC&0# .

- The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

- The previous system shutdown at 18:28:11 on ‎16/‎08/‎2014 was unexpected.

Message was edited by: Marcus Siqueira

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Fix available here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2545227 Event ID 10 is logged in the Application log after you install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I thank you for the reply. When I arrive in home today I'll try to do the fix. But I have a question. As I read down the fix text, I didn't noticed that this will fix my apprently rebooting problem, that I'm thinking its a problem related to the video card. Will that fix it, or it's just about the Event View report?

Thank,

Marcus Siqueira

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

This will definitely help for Application Log Error. Also there is something wrong with Your KINGSTON usb flash drive

Have You tried modifying memory frequency and then testing Your gfx? (i.e. lowering it to ~1000 or ~1600)

Also can You attach crash log (if available)? (i.e. %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you FZ,

You might have just found out the cause.

As looking into the my processor specifications, I found out that it works with 1600mhz frequency at maximum frequency for memory sticks. Oh good, I really think I have changed it in Bios when I built the PC to make the memories work at 2000mhz.

I'll be at home in some hours. Will try both the fix you have provided earlier and will also try to lower the frenquency to 1600mhz. Will run tests on Graphic Card after that and send you the report. I'll also try to find the logs you have mentioned.

Link:

http://ark.intel.com/products/63698/intel-core-i7-3820-processor-10m-cache-up-to-3_80-ghz ARK | Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Processor (10M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

Memory SpecificationsMax Memory Size (dependent on memory type)64 GBMemory TypesDDR3-1066/1333/1600# of Memory Channels4Max Memory Bandwidth51.2 GB/sECC Memory Supported ‡

http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?ECCMemory=true&MarketSegment=DT

No
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi FZ,

I have just done all that you suggested. For The Fix it worked fine and my Event View got cleaned of the WMI log.

I have changed the PCI Slot for the Video Card.

After that, I went into the BIOS Setup and put back the USB 3.0 (Since I see this was not the cause of the problem), and put the Performance Memory Profiles to Automatic.

After that, I started up the Windows 7 and run some tests. Again it fails on the GPU tests on OCCT. Just after a minute from starting the test, the machine reboots, just right after it shows a full screen image.

I got some print screens of the tests and some pictures from the BIOS Setups bellow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

@ Marcus, Be sure you have the latest graphics driver for your graphics card.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

This was one of the first things I have checked. I have downloaded the latests Drivers for everything. I also updated BIOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Have You tried only Intel gfx and only (if possible) Nvidia gfx?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The Motherboeard, Intel DX79SI does not have a onboard Graphic Card, and I only have the Nvidia Graphic Card (660 GTX EVGA).

0 Kudos