Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Potential Processor Upgrades - Is it worth it?

Jump to solution

Current System

Computer Model: DH67BL

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz    

Package (platform ID)Socket 1155 LGA (0x1)

Intel HDGraphics2000

Chipset 

Northbridge Intel Sandy Bridge rev. 09

Southbridge Intel H67 rev. B3

BIOS Vendor Intel Corp.

BIOS Version Intel Corp. BLH671 0H.86A.011 9.2011 .0523.1 030

BIOS Release Date 05/23/11

Are there better processors for this board that would significantly improve the performance? What recommendation would you have.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I have to agree with Al's opinion. First of all, none of the possible processor "upgrades" will appreciably improve performance (it was a pretty KICK-A$$ processor in its day and the 3rd-generation processors offered only a single-digit improvement in per-Core performance). You would get more-significant improvements in overall system performance by increasing the amount of memory available (to a full 16GB) and, if possible, by using a third-party add-in graphics card. Before considering these expenditures, however, you need to consider a number of factors,

1. Your system is old and failures are likely imminent. The typical MTBF for the components in this system and even on your motherboard is 6 years and you are well past that.
  2. Your system is old and compatibility issues are also likely (with new memory and new graphics cards, for example). Your processor (and any possible upgrades) and your motherboard have long been discontinued. While it will run, Windows 10 is not formally supported and driver support is almost non-existent.
  3. Any truly significant improvements in performance will require that the processor, motherboard and memory all be replaced.

I am thus of the opinion that making upgrades to this system is just throwing good money for bad. None of the upgrades that you could make will be at all useable in your next system; you will most-definitely be replacing processor, motherboard and memory.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

"significantly"? No.

Here is a list of supported processors.

https://processormatch.intel.com/Processors/CompatibleProcessors?componentName=DH67BL

If you select one, make sure your bios is updated PRIOR to installing the new processor (which will be no easy task).

"Is it worth it"? Personally, I would consider retiring the board.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I have to agree with Al's opinion. First of all, none of the possible processor "upgrades" will appreciably improve performance (it was a pretty KICK-A$$ processor in its day and the 3rd-generation processors offered only a single-digit improvement in per-Core performance). You would get more-significant improvements in overall system performance by increasing the amount of memory available (to a full 16GB) and, if possible, by using a third-party add-in graphics card. Before considering these expenditures, however, you need to consider a number of factors,

1. Your system is old and failures are likely imminent. The typical MTBF for the components in this system and even on your motherboard is 6 years and you are well past that.
  2. Your system is old and compatibility issues are also likely (with new memory and new graphics cards, for example). Your processor (and any possible upgrades) and your motherboard have long been discontinued. While it will run, Windows 10 is not formally supported and driver support is almost non-existent.
  3. Any truly significant improvements in performance will require that the processor, motherboard and memory all be replaced.

I am thus of the opinion that making upgrades to this system is just throwing good money for bad. None of the upgrades that you could make will be at all useable in your next system; you will most-definitely be replacing processor, motherboard and memory.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the wise advice.... I will look into building a new system. Not into gaming, but I am into video processing...

0 Kudos