cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LFidl1
Beginner

Problem installing ram on DP67BG motherboard

Hi there:

we have a DP67BG motherboard and purchased 4 - 8 gigs of Patriot ram to replace the 4 - 4 gigs. We have been having a real problem installing all 4 sticks for some reason. It won't work with all 4 sticks, just 2 and we also can't put back the previous 4 - 4 gigs, the system just beeps when we try to restart. Here's what we have done so far:

we have 2 sticks of 8 gig ram in the first 2 slots and all is working.

We understood and the slots, from left to right, are 3, 1, 4, 2.

This would make sense in regards to what's going on for us right now.

But no matter what we do, we can't get the system to even boot with anything else but the 2 sticks in those slots.

We've also reset the BIOS to default and all that stuff, but no joy...

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Lillian

0 Kudos
25 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There are limits on the number of DIMMs that you can use based upon the type of DIMMs that are used. What is the actual part numbers for the DIMMs you are trying?

...S

LFidl1
Beginner

Hi, hopefully one of these is the part #:

PS000986

or

PSD38G16002

if not, let me know. Thanks so much!

n_scott_pearson

The only thing we have come up with so far is the possibility that these DIMMs are organized as 1Rx16, which is not supported (it needs to be 2Rx8). As I read the spec, however, the organization is 2Rx8. I am awaiting follow up from the design team...

...S

LFidl1
Beginner

Thank you so much for taking the time to look into this. We are at a loss at the moment and don't know what to do next!

Lillian

n_scott_pearson

Hardware engineer (whose memory is as vague as mine on this board; simply too long ago) suggested that you start with two DIMMs installed. When you power on, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup and then override the memory settings so that the memory is always initialized at 1333 (i.e. disable XMP). Save and reboot. When BIOS POST Splash Screen shows up, power off and then add the additional DIMMs. See if it will then power up cleanly.

Hope this helps,

...S

LFidl1
Beginner

Hi, that didn't work... but it lead us to the solution!

We decided to change the option above that (manual or automatic) from manual to automatic. We then put in the extra ram and voila, it worked!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help us with this issue. It was really great to have the support!!

Best wishes from Lillian and Jim from Newfoundland!

n_scott_pearson

Which parameter are you talking about?

n_scott_pearson

Another thought they had is that the DIMM connectors could be physically damaged. You should be able to take 1 stick of memory and try it in each slot. If it doesn’t boot with a single stick in slot 1, then a single stick in slot 2, then 3, then 4. Just a single stick in the system each time, then there is probably something physically damaged.

...S

LFidl1
Beginner

Hi Scott: the parameter we changed was under memory overrides, the first parameter - we changed from manual to automatic. It seemed to at least allow us to run on all four slots of ram. So that was good. However, now it seems that we are getting alot of blue screens. We had a look at a hardware monitoring program and it seems that the cpu is throttling from 3000+ to 1500 - apparent this is not good? We are wondering if there might be a way to get into the advanced settings on the bios. We had someone look at the bios for us and turn off everything to do with c state and said there should be other settings that would take care of this but they are hidden in this board's bios. Any ideas? Thank you!

n_scott_pearson

As far as I know, there are no power throttling schema in this BIOS​ and all parameters in BIOS are exposed.

...S

LFidl1
Beginner

Hi again, we thought we had solved the problem, but no such luck. In having the 4 slots of ram filled and being able to boot up, we began to constantly get the BSOD and having to reboot. We have exhausted all ideas and tried several changes in the bios and finally had to revert back to the 2 sticks of ram in order to keep operating. We have a question: would the power supply be causing an issue? Perhaps with the 4 sticks of ram we have an inadequate power supply? The power supply is 700 watts.

Or any other suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lillian

n_scott_pearson

700W should be plenty, so your PSU shouldn't be the issue - unless it is not working properly, of course.

Without having any detailed explanation of the changes you were making in the memory configuration, I really cannot tell if they are what is responsible for the failures. Can you use your smartphone to take a photo of this BIOS Setup Screen? You can use the paperclip icon that appears below the edit box to upload and attach the photo.

...S

LFidl1
Beginner

See attached. Let me know if there are any further screens that you need.

n_scott_pearson

Drop the memory multiplier so runs memory at 1333. See if stable there.

...S

LFidl1
Beginner

and another

LFidl1
Beginner

Hi, we tried that. We get the three beeps again when restarting, unfortunately

n_scott_pearson

You changed it to Manual and changed​ multiplier?

LFidl1
Beginner

Yes, we changed it to manual first.

n_scott_pearson

To be honest, I am at a loss to explain what is happening. I sent a query to the original design team; let's hope they have an idea.

In the meantime, let's experiment. With the BIOS configured back to automatic,

1. What happens if you put 8GB DIMMs in Channel A and 4GB DIMMs in Channel B (i.e. DIMM3: 8GB, DIMM1: 8GB, DIMM4: 4GB, DIMM2: 4GB)?
  2. What happens if you put 4GB and 8GB DIMMs in each channel (i.e. DIMM3: 4GB, DIMM1: 8GB, DIMM4: 4GB, DIMM2: 8GB)?

If both of these work, stick with the configuration from #2 for now. It should offer the better performance (Dual Channel Interleaved mode) and get you to 24GB (better than nothing).

...S

LFidl1
Beginner

Hi, we tried 1 and 2 and in both scenarios we are getting the triple beep and the system won't boot.

Strange indeed. If we put the 4 8 gig sticks in it will boot but after a while we keep getting BSOD's

we really appreciate your suggestions though! If you have any more we are standing by.

At this point we are seriously considering a new system :.)