Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Problem with DP55WB and a video card.

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Gigabyte HD 7850, as an update for my old GTS250, which always have worked fine.

With the new board correctly installed, when I turn on the PC, it freezes in the BIOS splash screen, and stays there forever.

At first, I thought it could be a problem with the video card. A friend tested in two other PCs and it worked. So I thought it could be a power supply issue, so I bought a Coursair 650W, but the same error persists.

So I tried to update the Bios firmware to the latest available. With my old video card plugged, I downloaded the firmware update windows app. and ran it. It required a reboot, but when it tried to reboot, I got the two beeps and no successful boot. So, I put the jumper in the config position, entered the bios setup, rebooted, and it worked again with my old card, but keep getting the same error with the new one.

Now I just ran out of options. What should I do?

My PC specs:

- Motherboard DP55WB (bought in 2010);

- Processor I5 750;

- Windows 7 x64;

- 2x8Gb ram coursair;

- Coursair 650W Modular;

- HD500gb samsung/SSD250gb samsung;

- GTS250 1Gb (working) / HD7850 2Gb (not working);

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi João,

According to the information provided this seems to be a compatibility issue with this specific model and brand of card. There is not much that can be done in these cases. We also would like to inform that PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 are backwards compatible with each other so we can exclude this as a reason for this issue.

As mentioned before on the post the recommendations offered are:

- Ensure to have the latest firmware update and drivers for the card.

- Test a different card on the board to narrow the issue properly.

- Make sure your power supply is sufficient to run the card.

A BIOS update will enhance communication with the hardware connected on the board but it will not enable compatibility with a third party device or similar.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

I entered in contact with the Intel brazilian chat support. They said that my video card doesn't work because it is PCI-E 3.0, and the motherboard is PCI-E 2.0.

However, searching in different sources, I found that PCI-E 3.0 devices are compatible with PCI-E 2.0 slots.

Something tells me there is something else wrong here.

idata
Community Manager

I tried with the last two BIOS versions available (0336 and 0333), but no success.

KTee
New Contributor III

What BIOS revision is your DP55WB currently using?

idata
Community Manager

Gize, i'm using the 0336 right now. Tried a couple other versions, but it keeps freezing at startup, with the post code "5A".

idata
Community Manager

Hi João,

According to the information provided this seems to be a compatibility issue with this specific model and brand of card. There is not much that can be done in these cases. We also would like to inform that PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 are backwards compatible with each other so we can exclude this as a reason for this issue.

As mentioned before on the post the recommendations offered are:

- Ensure to have the latest firmware update and drivers for the card.

- Test a different card on the board to narrow the issue properly.

- Make sure your power supply is sufficient to run the card.

A BIOS update will enhance communication with the hardware connected on the board but it will not enable compatibility with a third party device or similar.

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

Hello Dan, thanks for your reply.

I have tested the video card in two other systems, so it works. I'll make sure to get its firmware and drivers updated.

As for the power supply, I'm pretty sure my brand new Corsair 650W should be enough.

I hadn't test another PCI-3.0 card before in the board, but I have a GTS250 working on it right now.

The BIOS I have running in the board is the latest.

As for the compatiblity, the weird thing is that a person from a forum made a review from this video card a while ago, using the DP55WB in his system. I sent him a private message, and he assured me it worked for about a year, so there shouldn't be compatibility issues

idata
Community Manager

Hi João Carlos Kolling Neto,

I have the exact same issue with the Gigabyte HD 7770, my situation is exactly the same: had the card tested elsewhere, worked fine, etc. However, doesn't matter what I do, it keeps freezing during boot at "5A". Did you manage to resolve the problem? How?

How would you go about updating firmware for the graphics card? Especially if one can't get your own machine to boot with it.

@Dan_Intel: Are you saying that this motherboard is incompatible with the new range of Gigabyte Radeon cards, and so be it? Would you be able to tell us if Intel would be releasing a new BIOS version to resolve the issue?

(As this seems to be the main reason for BIOS updates, from the changelog link posted by Gize. Quote from latest: "Fixed no boot issue when certain graphics card is installed.")

Any help help would be highly appreciated. Please let me know if I should rather create a new thread for this?

idata
Community Manager

@Arno Venter:

I never fixed the issue. Tried absolutely everything but update the GPU firmware. You can do it installing the board in a work PC, then update the firmware. I don't think this is the solution of the problem though.