cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Problems with an Intel i7 990x & Intel DX58OG computer

Hello everyone,

I would be really grateful if anyone could help. Here is the problem: I got 6 sticks of RAM and every each and one of those fails memory stress test by Intel Extreme Utility, tested one-by-one in 3 different slots of my motherboard (unfortunately, I couldn't manage to test 3 other, because I had no start and beeps when I used them). Which means my PC completely freezes.

Why this bothers me? Well, when I launch high-load processes like simulations and 3D-related calculations same thing happens: my system freezes after some time, which means cursor not moving and no update on the screen at all. You can also hear the processor fan goes full load the very moment. It can be couple minutes since the calcultion starts as well as couple hours.

I get best results (meaning just longest time with no freeze) when I run my RAM at XMP-1600 profile at 1600Mhz and 1.65V. But I literally tried everything, running at 1333Mhz Automatic profile, as well las runnning at 1066Mhz Manual profile, as well as runnning 1.5V / 1.525V voltage with different frequency variations. I also tried switching on and off different random BIOS parameters which I'm not event sure about.

Processor temps during the stress test are about 30-40 °C and around 50-60 °C during calculations.

So basically, really bad situation. Is it possible that I have all 6 sticks corrupt (they are 2 seperately bought 12Gb packs)? Or is it possible my motherboard is corrupt (which I read on one internet case, the guy replaced his Intel DX58OG with another one and it worked)? I'm really hoping it is me not understanding something fundamental behind numbers and settings.

Please help. Thank you very much.

My full computer specs are:

Intel i7 990x (no overclock)

Intel DX58OG (BIOS updated)

24Gb RAM (2 x Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX = 6 sticks each 4Gb)

Nvidia Quadro 2000

Cooler Master V6

PSU 750W

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Alexander,

I understand that your system is having stability issues and you believe that might be related to the RAM memory.

In regards to the problems that you are experiencing, the Intel® Core™ i7-990X Processor Extreme Edition will support RAM memory that works at 1066MHz at 1.5v cl9. The RAM memory that you are using is not designed to run at those specifications and may be cause of the issue. I do recommend you to first test with memory that is natively compatible with the processor requirements and test the processor with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool from the following web site:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel%C2%AE%20Processor%20Diagnos... http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel%C2%AE%20Processor%20Diagnos...

If the problem continues you may need to test with different parts to determine the root cause.

Regards.

PV

idata
Community Manager

Thank you, Victor, that is helpful to know.

But it was really hard for me to find memory with the specs you mentioned and with a decent single stick size. Also most of them 1066Mhz memories are CL7. Is there any chance there's some kind of compatible memories list specifically for Intel DX58OG? Maybe even a luck of finding Intel i7 990x / Intel DX58OG set-up recommended models?

Another question would be, what are BIOS settings to run 1066Mhz memory if I ever find one? Should I leave automatic, or type some numbers in Manual mode?

Could you also confirm these compatibility tables I found browsing around?

http://www.intel.ru/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/core-i7-extreme-memory-supplie... http://www.intel.ru/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/core-i7-extreme-memory-supplie...

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/datasheet/core-i7-extreme-memory-suppliers-1111-datasheet.pdf http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/datasheet/core-i7-extreme-memory-suppliers-1111-datasheet.pdf

Those look helpful too, but I'm wondering if those set-ups are stable, because none of them runs at 1066Mhz as listed.

idata
Community Manager

Hey there,

I have the same CPU and motherboard like Alexander and pretty much the same problem.

However my RAM passes the memory test, but the system freezes when I run the CPU stress test of the Extreme Utility. CPU temps are fine, there is no overclocking, all voltages are default.

Normally this malfunction is only caused by CPU stress test and it only takes around 10 seconds until the system freezes, but now I had the same effect while running a very new 3D video game. It only brings the CPU to 25% load though.

BIOS and all drivers are up to date.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Dave

idata
Community Manager

Has anyone found a solution?

I just put together a system with the exact same setup and same issue. Memory test fine but system freezes randomly.

Running windows 8 Pro 64

Any suggestions on what to try?

idata
Community Manager

Have you tried disabling EIST? That helped me a lot. But the problem ocurred again in the last days :/

Why is there no support from Intel? All i7X990 / DX58OG systems seem to have this problem....

It is very, very annoying for me!

RRamo7
New Contributor III

Hi

In fact this is a expected behavior when you use RAM memory out of specs, but if even using fully compatible memory, it could be a grounding issue so try to test it out of the case to see if same happens and if possible try to use a different power supply, these motherboards are really picky with the power source.

Just to clarify, under what circumstances does the system freeze? Fully loaded CPU or idling? How do you "unlock" the system?

idata
Community Manager

As I wrote above:

When EIST is enabled:

"Normally this malfunction is only caused by CPU stress test and it only takes around 10 seconds until the system freezes, but now I had the same effect while running a very new 3D video game. It only brings the CPU to 25% load though."

But in the last days it also happened that the whole system shut down without any warning, even when the CPU was idle and EIST disabled.

Is it useful to raise the VCore of the CPU to make it more stable, even if it isn't overclocked?

I set the VDroop options to the performant one, and disabled most of the energy saving settings, in expectation of a more stable system, by the way.

The memory should be fine, it passed different checks.

One question: What do you mean by unlocking my system?

RRamo7
New Contributor III

Hi

Ok, so please try to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to see how is the processor working, it could be a problem related with the processor itself and needs to be replaced.

You can find this tool here:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=ipdt Download Center

By the way, what I mean with unlock, is when it freezes, how do you get it up and running again? Restarting it only? Or a hard shut down?

DChan30
Beginner

Hi all,

over a year has passed, but the very same problem still occurs :/

The Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool shows no errors at all, however the system still freezes randomly.

Could it be possible that my triple channel board is kind of unstable when only using two DIMMs?

And as I already asked: Is it useful to raise the VCore of the CPU to make it more stable, even if it isn't overclocked?

I think it is time to get rid of this annoying fault now

Any help is still very appreciated,

Kind regards

Dave