Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Question Re: DZ77GA-70K and PCIe RAID cards

I am looking to add a PCIe RAID card to my DZ77GA-70K motherboard. I am using the latest BIOS ver 66.

My question is about compatibility.

I read a thread in this forum that indicated that since BIOS ver 53, that PCIe RAID cards are not recognized by the BIOS and therefore do not function.

Since I haven't purchased the RAID card yet, I don't have a model number, but I wanted to see if anyone can shed some light on this issue.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

James - Where did you read this? Do you remember what conversation?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Al: Thanks for the link. Looks like I will need to pick up a used controller and see if it works before I invest in a new one!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Scott:

Here is the link:

Go to page 2 and check out post 24 & 27.

This is a long thread. I did verify one of the issues that was mentioned.

If you select UEFI boot only, you can't get your video card display to work.

You have to have Legacy turned on as well.

I looked at the release notes from 53 to 66 and saw a lot of RAID updated.

I assume that those applied to MB RAID and not PCIe RAID.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Ok, let me properly interpret this discussion for you.

If you have a PCIe card that, (a) provides a graphics engine, (b) must support booting and/or (c) needs to support a configuration capability, the card must include a ROM providing a "driver" to support this functionality. Now, these ROMs can take one of three forms providing, (1) a Legacy BIOS Driver, (2) a UEFI BIOS Driver or (3) both Legacy and UEFI BIOS Drivers. Many of the older cards support # 1. Most of the newer cards support # 3. Unfortunately, there are also a few of the newer cards that only support # 2.

So, what are the implications of this?

• If a card provides only a Legacy BIOS Driver and the BIOS' support for Legacy is disabled, then this card's ROM will not be supported.

[I believe that this is the case that you are seeing with your graphics card.]

• Similarly, if a card provides only a UEFI BIOS Driver and the BIOS' support for UEFI is disabled, then this card's ROM will not be supported.

Because of these implications, if you want to maintain the highest level of compatibility, it is important to ensure that both Legacy and UEFI support are enabled in the BIOS.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. The BIOS release note entries regarding updates for RAID are specific to the Intel Chipset's SATA RAID implementation. It has nothing to do with any RAID implementation on PCIe add-in cards.

P.S. I use a PCIe RAID add-in card in a DH77DF board (your board's little brother). It is this model here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUC3N74 Amazon.com: StarTech.com 4-Port PCIe 2.0 SATA III 6Gbps RAID Controller Card.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the very clear description of the issues related to the video card.

The video card I was using was very old, so I have a much better understanding now.

Thanks for the link on the RAID card. It appears there is no overall issue with using third party RAID cards in this board.

Again thank you for your time and support of this forum.

I commend you for your dedication to all of us and to your support of the brand.

0 Kudos