Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11359 Discussions

Raid-0 rebuilded in raid-1

tipompier
Beginner

Hi,

I had two Raid-0 disks set by built-in Raid controller on a motherboard (Asus P5W-DH with Asus EZ Backup = Intel matrix storage).  I've changed my motherboard and forgot that my disk was in raid-0.  With the other motherboard, Intel matrix storage tell me "rebuild" state in the bios, but in raid-1!  In windows I have lunch the intel rapid strorage software.  The rebuild have progressed to 100%, after I was invited to do a initialization and a verify, what I did...  So now my disks are in RAW mode.

So I want to know what the rebuild and a initialization process did to my disks ?  Is my disks have the same data now or I have a little hope that only the library was faulty ?

I used some recovery software, I can see my wanted files, but everytime the files are corrupted.

Thx for your help!  Sorry for my poor english!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

This forum is for the support of Intel's Desktop Board products; you should have posted it in the support forum for Intel RST.

My first comment is: Never rely on arrays surviving the move from one system to another - especially if generational change in chipset. Always, always transfer content to physical drives for moves like this.

My second comment is: Always maintain a backup of the contents of *ANY* RAID array. Sh1t happens.

My third comment is: RAID1 rebuild with RAID0 disks will likely have disastrous consequences, in theory overwriting the data stripes on the second drive with the stripes on the first drive. I am sorry, but you've likely lost everything on the array. 

My fourth comment is: This is the bizarrest RST problem that I have heard of yet.

Sorry again,

...S