cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Right Click on Desktop causes Delay because of igfxsrvc.exe

Hello,

the process igfxsrvc.exe is apparently part of the Intel Common User Interface and in use/started when I perform a right click on the desktop which causes an annoying delay of about 2 seconds while opening the context menu.

What is that process for?

Can I disable it or is there another way to avoid the delay?

Graphics Driver: 15.31.17.64.3257

Motherboard: Intel DQ77KB (processor i3 3220)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
47 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Please check all the posts above. You may find important information.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have also experienced this issue, right click was causing a 4s delay on an i7, 8GB RAM with SSD. The machine is a fresh install of Win 8.1 Domain Joined.

Using ProcMon from sysinternals I've noticed that the issue occurs if there is a local account with the same name as my domain account. If the local account and profile is removed right click becomes instant.

Local Account = jbyford profile folder = c:\users\jbyford

Domain Account = domain\jbyford profile folder = c:\users\jbyford.domain (domain is not the real domain name)

When logged in as the domain account explorer.exe attempts to read Intel Profile information from the c:\users\jbyford folder, rather than c:\users\jbyford.domain

(jbyford was the first account created on the machine, so the link may not be the name, it could be that it's the account that installed the driver - either way, this looks like a bug)

Extract from ProcMon:

"Time of Day","Process Name","PID","Operation","Path","Result","Detail","Relative Time"

"20:37:54.7673599","Explorer.EXE","7112","CreateFile","C:\Users\jbyford\IntelGraphicsProfiles","ACCESS DENIED","Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a","00:00:01.9776574"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

lo que podrías hacer es restaurar tu equipo a un punto anterior donde no presentaba la falla

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'am having the same problem. The first time I click on the desktop the delay is about 6-7 sec, then after the first click the delay is reduced to about 2-3 seconds.

I tried to look for an "ACCESS DENIED" with ProcMon but found nothing (I only have local accounts). For now I'm using azetrom's workaround as I don't really need the settings to be on the desktop riht click (I can access them via the windows control pannel).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

We have released a new driver. Please try it and let me know how it goes.

For HD 4600 Check this:

/thread/59216 https://communities.intel.com/thread/59216

For HD 4000:

/thread/58966 https://communities.intel.com/thread/58966

Kevin m

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi sir Kevin!

I was just wondering if this update also applies to windows 10 users? I have just manually downloaded the Driver for Windows 10 64-bit which is said to be the latest "15.40.4.64.4256 (Latest)"

I've been struggling with hard to right click feature when I'm on the desktop screen. My right-click is delayed like 4-5 seconds before the menu box show up. I've also tried the procedure adding the registry of "Remove_Intel_Menu.reg" like what Mr. Nic says. After adding the registry, I restarted my laptop so it could take effect right? But still, my issues were not resolved. Please help me fix this cause its really annoying and irritating cause I bought an i7-4710HQ HP laptop just for experiencing this kind of issues. Also, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600

CPU: 4th Gen. Intel i7-4710HQ Haswell

Memory: 8GB RAM

Storage Capacity: 1TB hard drive

Platform: Windows 10 Home

Manufacturer: HP Model: HP Envy 15 Notebook

Email: mailto:bluyeon53@gmail.com bluyeon53@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I had this problem and for me it was caused by accidentally deleting the folder C:\Intel

This folder contained only a single empty folder called Profiles. Since there wasn't anything stored in these folders, I figured they were crap left behind from an old installer.

To fix the problem, I just manually recreated the C:\Intel folder. As soon as I did that, another folder called Profiles magically appeared inside the Intel folder and the slow right-click problem was gone instantly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I had to delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers igfxDTCM and igfxcu to remove the context menus from the right click, and the lag went away!! What gives!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing this information. I am sure it will be very helpful for other users.

Kevin m

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I confirm I am having this annoying issue on windows 10 and add to deactivate "TheDeskTopContextMenu Classe igfxDTCM module with ShellExView to make the slowness goes away. This should be fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, faisantp:

Thank you for sharing this fix and your outcome for this issue.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi everyone,

Yesterday i encountered this issue and after some digging on my computer and on the net i realized it is caused by the Intel HD Graphics 4000. With that information i ended up here..

I have two user accounts on my computer and only one of them had this issue, so i realized this is not because of the entry which is located "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers". Deleting that was only a temp solution and i did not want to delete or disable it so i started digging and trying stuff again on my computer. I tried copying the all user specific files and settings on registry (at least the part i could find..) from the working user to the other user account but it did not solve the issue either. If you have the same issue with me, you should see that even if we delete the entry from the registry, when we right click the Intel HD Graphics 4000 icon on the system tray (It is there if you enabled it...), it opens very slowly just like the right click menu on desktop or in a folder background. I also realized that i was not see the default profiles on the Intel HD Graphics 4000 Control Panel at the user account which had the issue. Also i could not save and create a profile.. When i tried it gave me an error. So i thought it could not access some parts of Windows to save or read the profiles.

I tried running the app as administrator (both users are admins by the way) to see if i could see or create profiles and the result was the solution... Everything got fixed itself and also i do not need to run the app as admin always , running it as admin once fixed it. So if you have the same symptoms, this solution probably works for you too, at least try it, you can thank me later if it works because i only created this account to share this with you folks.

If you do not have the shortcut of the app on your start menu (If you installed the driver by windows update..) and using the app by control panel try running it and locate it's .exe file by task manager and run it as admin.. Or reinstall it by downloading from the Intel's website, the shortcut will be created, but if you reinstall by downloading do not forget to update the driver again by windows update because it has an higher version of the driver.

Hope this incredibly simple solution which i do not see anywhere else works for you all and you won't need to wait Intel or Microsoft to fix this....

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, SasunT:

I would like to thank you for the time spend writing this workaround, certainly it will work for other customers in the future.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

mine works and is very straightforward

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

@Intel

I have had the same issues with the slow context menu and the slow reaction of the Intel menü in the system tray as well. The essential hint came from Jonathan_B 05.01.2015 14:58 and then from SasunT 22.01.2016 06:28, but there is an easier workaround for this error in Intels driver software, assumed that the domain user is administror (member of administrator group):

- open explorer

- navigate to c:\users

- double click on your local user accrount's directory, e.g. paul

- you will get a message box of the UAC to confirm the access with administrative rights - confirm with 'continue'

Now the context menu and the Intel system tray menu will be fast. It will be sufficient to do this procedure once as Windows will remember this administrative access.

Nevertheless, it is an error in Intel's driver software as it tries to access the local user's profile (e.g. c:\users\paul) instead of the logged in user's domain profile (e.g. c:\users\paul.his-domain). This is even worse if the domain user isn't administrator, because then there will not even be a workaround. This has to be changed/resolved by Intel - even more, as this problem exists since several years and the internet is full of users posting this problem without having a solution! (and deleting context menu entries is NOT a solution!)

Highlighted
Community Manager

I've confirmed what Delta-Roh had found.

I have a domain connected W10 PC. I had to click on a local user account folder not even related to my domain login. Once windows remembered the permission to that folder, the delay stopped. The driver SHOULD NOT be attempting to access a non public local user account folder when logged into a domain account. Intel, please fix this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, All:

Let me this reviewed, thank you all for your input and collaboration on this it is really helpful, if any additional information is required from your systems, I will let you know.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

2 seconds per right-click on 50% of the PC in the world... that's a lot of wasted time for a totally useless menu that no normal user can remove or even identify as the source of the problem.

something that takes more than 10ms shouldn't be activated by default

and while you're at it, you can also remove the default key binding that rotates the screen (soooo many calls because of that brillant idea !)

and the tray icon

and the fancy control panel that take ages to load

I endured your password rules to register and say that you should write a driver and get rid of the useless buggy fancy crapware thingy attached to it. but I'm well aware that it is useless

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, All:

This is currently being reviewed for sure, my apologies for the delay.

I will let you know as soon as I get an outcome on this.

Regards,

Esteban C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi, All:

I would like to gather up some information from your systems in order to better understand this issue.

You can hand over to me this with the SSU report from your systems (instructions below).

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility

-Download the utility

-Scan your system with the utility

-Export the report (hit next and then save) and attach it to your answer with the advanced editor option (reply button and then check upper right corner)

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos