Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LNguy27
Beginner

[SOLVED] Intel DX58SO won't post after upgrading GPU

Hello, I just switched out my GTX460 for a Radeon R9 380, now my Pc hang at the BIOS screen before posting. I tried putting the jumper on different configuration with no success. I took out the battery for a few minutes, nothing. It just display the Intel screen, I can't even press F2 to go into setup. Help:

EDIT: Updated Bios, everything boot right away

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

You might have a mismatch of technology generations, in other words, your new video card is too advanced for your old motherboard.

LNguy27
Beginner

only mismatch here is my bios version... thx anyways

Hellen_D_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Actually Paramountain is right there may be a technology mismatch, but you said you moved the jumper on a different configuration, I suggest you to check this document, page 56; bear in mind Always turn off the power and unplug the power cord from the computer before moving the jumper. Moving the jumper with the power on may result in unreliable computer operation.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/18128/eng/DX58SO_ProductGuide02_English.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/18128/eng/DX58SO_ProductGuide02_English.pdf Regards,Hellen.
LNguy27
Beginner

hello, yes i have read the document thoroughly because i realized it wasn't as simple as some motherboards to clear the cmos. Every time i moved the jumper, the machine was powered off, unplug and i waited for the led on the motherboard to go off completely. Without the jumper in place, nothing on screen. With the jumper in place, in either configuration, it gets to the Intel screen and hang there. I had to plug the old video card back in, update bios in windows, shut down, swap the cards, and the machine boot up without a hitch.

so... sure, mismatch of technology but more toward the software side than the fact that my motherboard was too old for the graphic card.

thanks

Hellen_D_Intel
Employee

Unfortunately it is a compatibility issue; you would have to get a newer motherboard to use that GPU.

Regards,

Hellen.

LNguy27
Beginner

lol you're trolling right? i already said the problem is fixed by updating the bios

Hellen_D_Intel
Employee

Sorry, I misunderstood the answer, thanks for the feedback saying that the issue was solved.

Regards,

Hellen.