Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DZink1
Beginner

Scott, I am not certain if I picked the correct option, but I am an end user. I know very little about boards and the overall operation of the PC. My forte is software, MS Office to be more specific. With MS moving to Windows 10 I am wondering if you c

could tell me if my box is capable of working with the new OS. I am submitting the Intel report that I got a few days ago. For the most part it is Greek, but maybe you could tell me if I need to purchase a new system or if my present system is adequate to work with the new OS. Also, if it is with a few exceptions, could you let me know if these exceptions are upgradeable? Appreciate any assistance you can offer. My personal email is genacct@cox.net. Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It is not that Microsoft is moving to Windows 10, but leaving Windows 7.

Your processor is not supported on WIndows10. This does not mean that Windows 10 will not run.

Your processor is from 2011 and almost NINE years old:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52213/intel-core-i7-2600-processor-8m-cache-up-...

As far as what upgrades may be available to you, that is a question for HP (which they will likely not answer).

Now, should you keep this OLD setup, or get a new machine? I personally think you should get rid of this hardware and get a new machine, that is supported on Windows 10,

Also, this forum is for INTEL desktop boards. Your question should have been posted on the HP support forums.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, edit your original message and remove your email address. You are just asking for SPAM by providing it here. The forum software allows us to communicate without me having this information.

First, let's talk about your processor. The good: From the standpoint of raw computing power, your 2nd generation processor's 4 Cores and 8 Threads will still provide you with plenty of oomph. It is not going to be as energy-efficient as the latest 10th generation processors, but the raw capability is still there. The bad: Your processor is as vulnerable to the Meltdown and Spectre flaws as the newer processors yet, because of its age, it is not getting any microcode updates that provide fixes (workarounds) for the Spectre issues. Regardless of what O/S you decide to run, and regardless of what capabilities that O/S has for delivering microcode updates, there simply are none forthcoming for your processor.

Next, let's talk about your graphics card. Intel made the decision to only support six previous generations of processors. As far as I know, AMD and NVIDIA have made similar decisions regarding their graphics engines. Your system's BIOS is very long in the tooth and will have a tougher and tougher time providing compatibility with newer and newer graphics cards. In order to maintain a reasonable level of driver support (especially with Windows 10), you may have to look at getting a newer graphics card yet something too new and you may run into these compatibility issues.

Next, let's talk about Windows 10 itself. Officially, Intel is no longer providing support for their 2nd generation Core processors. In fact, however, what Intel isn't providing support for (isn't providing drivers for) is the graphics engine in your processor. As long as you are not using the processor's graphics engine (i.e. by continuing to use an add-in AMD or NVIDIA graphics card), processor compatibility isn't going to be an issue. The in-box drivers for Windows 10 will provide support for your motherboard's chipset and most (if not all) other components (Audio Codecs, Ethernet Adapters, etc.). Bottom line, Windows 10 will run just fine on this system.

Finally, let's talk about robustness (for lack of a better term). Your processor was released in 2011. It is almost 9 years old. That's really long in the tooth. Your motherboard and other components are just as old. While it could continue to chug along for years to come, the odds are against it doing so. Hell, even the solder used on your motherboard is past its MTBF date by a couple of years.

Ok, so what does all of this mean? Well, your system should run Windows 10 just fine. Not the fastest, not the most energy efficient, but it will run just fine. I do have my concerns, however. I worry about the compatibility of the motherboard with more-modern components. I worry about the vulnerabilities remaining exposed in the processor. I worry about the reasonable lifetime of system components. I worry about the system's growing fragility. My recommendation would be to upgrade to something newer. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. You don't have to do it tomorrow. I would say work towards a goal of staying within six generations of the latest.

[Aside: As they say, I am the pot calling the kettle black; I too have a Core i7-2600-based system and I have every intention of keeping it alive for at least a little while longer. I am leaning on the fact that I can install Windows 10 using my Windows 7 license key. If I was purchasing new Windows 10 licenses, I wouldn't necessary be making the same decisions (being the cheapskate that I am) 😜]

Hope this helps,

...S