Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Silent Install Options for DSA Uninstaller

Hello, we have quite a few machines we need to uninstall the Driver & Support Assistant software on using the DSA Uninstaller tool.  Running this manually works fine, but are there any silent options when adding this to a script or executing this from a deployment software such as PDQ Deploy, SCCM, etc?  We'd like to push this out without user intervention.

e.g. DSAUninstaller.exe /verysilent or similar?   

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

We are also in need to uninstall DSA on up to 1000 systems using SCCM.    Choosing dsauninstaller.exe /? does not provide help.    Our users are constantly prompted for "updates available, You have 2 updates available, Update Software Now. " and systems are locked down to prevent unauthorized installations. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

We are in a very similar scenario and need to be able to silently remove the DSA. That same "2 updates" notification constantly popping up is something we're also seeing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

We too experienced it this morning, where the updates pop up and got stuck in some sort of loop, just kept making the ding sound over and over.  We determined the only way to get it to stop is to manually remove the software via the DSA Uninstaller, however its a time consuming problem and would also like to do this silently and via PDQDeploy.  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@LtcdData that's the exact reason we are uninstalling it was because of this mornings issues and the "ding" sound for 197 of our computers.  From PDQ Inventory, we've managed to go into the installed applications of the machines, and remove them via commands like this:

"C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{e6836a64-e94b-48d6-b294-1a0d5d124d90}\Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer.exe" /uninstall /quiet

The only problem is that the GUID in the path is different based on the version of DSA that is installed.  We've removed about half of them from the various GUIDs we could find.  With the remaining ones, we'd like to use the DSA Uninstaller tool.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the replies.     This will at least give us something to work with!   From inventory, we have 17 different versions deployed . 

I would rather use the DSA Uninstaller silently if possible to catch any version that is installed.     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@ShawnDaugherty We ended up using a if/then loop to try and tackle all of the different versions and GUIDs.  I'm digging into the DSA Uninstaller now to see what I can find buried in the package.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

This PowerShell script should do the trick:

cd (Get-ChildItem -Path 'C:\ProgramData\Package Cache' -Filter Intel-Driver-and-Support-Assistant-Installer.exe -Recurse).Directory; .\Intel-Driver-and-Support-Assistant-Installer.exe /uninstall /quiet

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

***EDIT*** Please disregard, I see the actual uninstall path shows the dashes...but I'm still not having any luck uninstalling the software, unfortunately.  

@THGBEC Thanks for posting the script.  I'm not having luck getting it to work, though.  Would this be due to the dashes ( - ) in the filter and file name or how does PowerShell interpret those?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

For our instance, i had to edit the command line and remove the dashes and replace with spaces, file name in quotes.     

cd (Get-ChildItem -Path 'C:\ProgramData\Package Cache' -Filter "Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer.exe" -Recurse).Directory; .\"Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer.exe" /uninstall /quiet

I was successful running the above command from an Administrative Power Shell instance.   I'm in the process of creating the script using SCCM.  

Thank you very much for the assistance @THGBEC , @MomSpaghettiii  @LtcdData  @ca-panther and everyone for your help. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the update.  I tried copying and pasting what you have and it appears I'm having the same issue.  Maybe someone knows what this output error means:

When running this from PDQ Deploy, I receive the error below:

cd (Get-ChildItem -Path 'C:\ProgramData\Package Cache' -Filter "Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer.exe" -Recurse).Directory; .\"Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer.exe" /uninstall /quiet

Cannot process argument because the value of argument "path" is null. Change the value of argument "path" to a non-null value.

The path exists and I can browse to it from the machines in question so I'm at a loss.  I've tried running as currently logged on user, and also domain admin.  I'm not on site so unable to elevate PowerShell (run as Administrator), which may be the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Ok., I'll play Mr. Obvious here...

The original request was to have the special IDSA uninstaller, which can get rid of all remnants from both current and previous versions of IDSA, have the ability to be run silently. What has been provided here is simply running the uninstaller for the current version, which may or may not get rid of all remnants (if it did, they wouldn't need the separate special uninstaller, right? ;^) ).

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@LtcdData  @MomSpaghettiii  @ShawnDaugherty  @ca-panther   This is Monique with Intel and I am the IDSA program manager. I apologize for the major inconvenience our latest release has created for you. Our team has been unable to reproduce the error you've all been experiencing.

If you have any systems with IDSA still installed that had the issue, can you please zip all the IDSA files from C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA\Logs and post here so we can root cause the issue.

Thank you for your patience,
Monique with Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi @Monique_Intel, I've attached a copy of the logs.

Here's a Video of what's happening to us that I recorded this morning:  https://youtu.be/nMf7Y0hKBOw

That exact thing happened to 200+ machines in our offices this past week.  It was quite the scramble of us IT folks and incoming Help Desk calls.  

The video which I linked happened this morning to a fresh install of Win 10 v1909 on a Lenovo Yoga C740, after installing all of the drivers from the lenovo website. The particular laptop has Intel DSA v20.8.30.5 installed, but we noticed it happen with many different versions across many different computer manufacturers in our offices

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@MomSpaghettiii  @ShawnDaugherty  @ca-panther @LtcdData

Thank you for providing your IDSA logs; they helped our team debug the issue. 

We have released a fix for this notification loop on July 31 3:45p PST with version 20.8.30.6.  Once you update, please confirm if the fix resolved the spamming notification.

Thank you and again, I apologize for the major inconvenience.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Thanks you, Monique!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

After hundreds of computers were continually "Dinging", I have found a resolution to the DSA alert issue. I have modified the registry to disable the DSA services at startup. This keeps the system from constantly informing you that there are updates available, and also allows you to keep the software installed in case you need to scan for new updates.

This can be done manually from services.msc but can be scripted, or deployed using SCCM or similar deployment software. Or a batch file and a for loop with psexec I suppose.

dword:00000002 = automatic

dword:00000003 = manual

dword:00000004 = disabled

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DSAUpdateService]

"Start"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DSAService]

"Start"=dword:00000004

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@Greenhill_IT_Analyst   This is Monique with Intel Corporation.  This looks like you've turned off the update service, which means you may not have received the fix we pushed on Friday July 31 (v20.8.30.6).

If this method solved the immediate issue, that's great. Please check if you have the latest version of IDSA now installed which has been confirmed to resolve the notification loop error.  If not, you may want to turn the service back on so IDSA can update itself.

Thanks for your patience and apologies for the inconvenience,

0 Kudos