Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Something went wrong - Intel Driver and Support Assistant

Been running this for months with no problem.

This morning it tells me an update is available.  When I click on the menu my browser opens and I get the error message "Something went wrong"

Refresh the page, no good.

Open and close browser and try again, no good.

Reboot and try again, no good.

Uninstall and reinstall, no good.

Seriously!??

How hard is it to keep this running without errors?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Please clean the Internet Browser cache. 

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

1. I already tried that on Chrome, Edge, Firefox and Opera.

2. That is NOT a solution.  If there is something about page elements that can't be cached the page should be marked with the proper nocache pragma, cache-control and Http Headers.  These have been supported by all major browsers for at least 15 years.  It's not rocket science.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@bproven  This is Monique with Intel and I am the project manager for IDSA.  We have seen a few others complaining of this issue but are unable to replicate.  Would you please zip and attach (using the paperclip icon when you reply) your IDSA log files (typically found at C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA)

Also any answers to the following questions can be helpful to our developers when trying to troubleshoot:

1. Do you have any browser plug-ins (ad blocking or script blocking)
  2. Do you have security or anti-virus software installed, and if so what
  3. Are you on a company network trying to run IDSA

Thanks for your patience and for reporting this issue to us.

Monique with Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@Monique_Intel I'll grab the logs in a second.  To answer your questions:

1. No ad blocking or script blocking. other than the normal kaspersky total security I've always had, that this has always worked with.

2. Kaspersky Total Security 21.  I tried the usual step of disabling this, no good.

3. Not a company network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

see attached logs

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@bproven   Thank you for the log files and extra details.  I've sent these over to our developers and will let you know what they can determine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@bproven   Hi there.  Our developers reviewed  your logs and believe this is a firewall issue.  Can you confirm if you have a firewall and if so, what those settings are?  Or  maybe try testing with the firewall disabled and see if the scan works.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

No.  It's not a firewall issue.  Both Kaspersky and the Windows firewall were completely disabled during one of my tests and it still failed.   

These are the same firewalls and settings that this software previously worked with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@Monique_Intel 

see response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

@bproven I hope you are not trying to run kaspersky and windows defender concurrently.  If so, that is bad.  You should have only one real-time AV active.  Also, do you have any web-based security protection active?  If so, disable it.

As for the firewall, IDSA accesses localhost on ports 28385-28389. It also connects to www.intel.com, downloadcenter.intel.com, and downloadmirror.intel.com, all on port 443 (HTTPS).  Make sure these are allowed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@AlHill Kaspersky (and most AV applications) register themselves with Windows Defender and it is off.  Been like that in Windows 10 since at least 1709 -- 2+? years now.

The ports are definitely open.  The key piece of information was that it was previously working fine with no changes here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Regardless of how much people would like to run more than one real-time AV (under the flawed belief that if one is good, two must be better), and how they claim to work together, and their "registration", I will never believe or support such an illusion.  I have been involved with AV products for a very long time, and only support having ONE real-time product active.  And, I would never trust Kaspersky, regardless of what they say.

All just an opinion, mind you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@AlHill LOL.  it's the only configuration supported by the operating system and has been that way for a while. 

The only thing you can do is disable it, which is automatically done by registration, but can also be done manually, using the exact same registry keys leading to the exact same effect.

But, If you've been "involved" with AV products for a "very long time" you would already know this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Uninstall kaspersky, and its firewall, and any other kaspersky related tools.  Use their cleanup utility.

As far as my involvement, I know people love to believe your type of usage works and is supported.  Sit back and LOL all you want.  There is a simple way to test this. 

Do what I asked, and then test IDSA. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@AlHill Ok, I'm not going to argue with you if your contention is that you know better than Microsoft.  Good luck with that.

It's already been tested in this configuration for 7 months.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

"It's already been tested in this configuration for 7 months."

That is the beauty of this - these problems do not usually show themselvers for months, giving the illusion that they are working OK.

Good, lots of people know better than Microsoft.  Microsoft breaks things ALL THE TIME.  And, things change.  Software gets updated all the time without your knowledge, from Microsoft, Kaspersky, and Intel.  You can do the test I asked for, and be sure of your assertions, or find that I am correct.  Your choice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Also, interesting is that the current version of IDSA has been out since Oct 15, and you just learned about it on Nov 8.  Usually, IDSA updates itself quickly after release.  That it did not tells me the problem is further back than Nov 8, unless you have messed with the notification settings.

In short, you really need to examine your system.  OS version, updates, AV support, etc.  Also, provide a link from Microsoft about Kaspersky being supported concurrently with Windows Defender/Security and this registration process you use with reg edits.  If there is no Microsoft link, provide a kaspersky link.  I found NO microsoft link.

If you have another system that has not been corrupted by your messing with the AV, try IDSA on that system.

Sorry to be so blunt about all of this, but, as I said, running two concurrent real-time products is a problem, and that you can eliminate this issue by completely removing kaspersky, including your registry mods.  Also, you may want to explore a Windows Reset to undo any damage you have caused.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sigh, one more response.  I found this in 5 seconds of Googling.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-antivirus/mic...

"If your organization's endpoints and devices are protected with a non-Microsoft antivirus/antimalware solution, and Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is not used, then Microsoft Defender Antivirus automatically goes into disabled mode."

I checked and it is indeed disabled (as it was before October 15th).  

I did indeed notice it in October.  I messed around uninstalling reinstalling, looking for something wrong locally before reporting it.

See attached screens:

virus and threat protection

virus and threat protection.jpg

Providers

providers.jpg

I guess Microsoft and the Windows 10 team provide all this information in case you have an unsupported configuration?  Right-y-o.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

We are talking about running both CONCURRENTLY.  And, about your reg edits, which you should never need to do. 

And, your assumptions about browser cache are also wrong.  It works in many, many cases TODAY.

Also, you said this began on Nov 8.  Now you say you noticed it in October.  You "messed around" with it then.  What else have you not told us about?

If you want this corrected, you can help by eliminating possible issues.  Right now, with your attitude and messing with the AV, IDSA, four different browsers, and who knows what other things you have done, there is no way to debug this unless you help.  Why the reluctance on uninstalling KASPERSKY?  It is only a test.

Again, uninstall completely Kaspersky and their firewall, then use their cleanup tool.  If that does not correct the problem, do a WINDOWS RESET to correct any corruption you have caused.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos