cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SWies1
Beginner

Stuck on Intel Splash Screen error 64

Good morning,

I installed a new GPU (AMD RX580), now I can't seem to get past the BIOS splash screen.

I have updated BIOS to latest version, and even tried to reinstall Windows 10.

I disconnected all drives, tried to enable USB optimization, no luck.

Specs:

i5-2500

Intel DP67BG mobo

12GB DDR3

AMD RX580

Please can someone asssit?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The older the motherboard, the more chance that there will be compatibility issues with the support of "modern" graphics cards. There are two main issues,

1. While many cards say they are fully backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0, they really aren't.
  2. Many modern cards only provide UEFI drivers and many of these motherboards require Legacy or Legacy+UEFI driver support.

For the first issue, there is no workaround. For the second, have you tried enabling UEFI? Note that you will need to remove the card while you enable this mode.

Hope this helps,

...S

SWies1
Beginner

Hi,

I did try and enable UEFI, did not make a difference.

For some reason it works on Ubuntu and Solus Linux. Seems it's only a compatibility issue between Windows 10 and the motherboard+GPU combination.

I am going to try and install Windows 7/8.1 and see if that works.

Thanks,

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Once you get into the O/S, it should work regardless. It is only the BIOS that is dependent upon the Video BIOS provided in the graphics card's OpROM. It may be that Windows 10 is too smart for its own good and, because the graphics port was not supported or enabled by the BIOS, Windows 10 does not see it. I think that trying Windows 7 would be an interesting experiment...

...S