cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Support for spectre/meltdown virus

Hey all....

I'm trying to find out where I can get the bios updates for my i7-3930k running on an intel dx79si mobo and my i7-2600k running on a z68 as-rock board..... The home page for my intel motherboard has nothing.....

It was my understanding that intel has already solved the problems with their chips, but is relying on the motherboard manufacturers to roll out the fix in bios updates..... Is this correct?..... or have I gotten that wrong?.....

Thanks for any help!!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

There is no bios update for your DX79SI:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026630/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht... Intel-SA-00088 for Intel® Desktop Boards

For your other board, check with the manufacturer.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for reply Al... That table shows my 2600k "in Production" whatever that means... I couldn't find the 3930k......

The reasons they give for not supporting their older cpu's seem like so much bs.... 1.The microarchitecture can't fix spectre variant 2, so we won't do anything with those chips...Really?....2. Third party software makers not supporting these cpu's somehow? What the hell does that have to do with intel fixing a massive stuff up with their own product?... 3. They're saying most users not getting a fix aren't using the internet..... WHAT?????..... Did I even read that right? Exactly how stupid do the people who come up with this stuff think we are?

The whole release preamble saying "one or more reasons" and "including but not limited to" the 3 reasons given was clearly written by some ass covering detached from reality legal creep in a suit....

I mean if what your telling me is right, my years as a loyal intel customer mean zero to intel corporation, and both my computers could be bricked at any time by one unfortunate website click......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Alas, I am but the messenger.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Lol.... I know.... I wasn't chopping at your good self at all.... I genuinely appreciate any help I can get.... I was just so shocked it looks like intel is going to abandon my beloved tech because of what I presume, though they didn't mention it, is purely financial reasons on their part... As in they already have all the money I'm going to give them for these products, they don't want to spend money supporting them for that reason....

Which is short sighted on their part.... If they wont support a product I've already purchased, how can they honestly expect me to buy anything they make again... When I know a few years down the line, if it goes pear shaped again, intel will make a greed based decision and hang me out to dry again?

I really just assumed intel would do the right thing by it's customers.... I'm absolutely astonished to find this out..... That's not right....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hey Guys.... I asked this question like 15 hours ago..... The only response was from Doc, Thank you mate.... muchly appreciated again for the info.....

Thing is I'm a new member here.... When I tried to log back in I was locked out.... I had to reset my account to post. I have to ask ( I see docs picture on the side thing).... Did I get locked out because I criticized intel for ditching me?

I mean I can't believe no one on an intel site wouldn't be rocking i7-2600k/3230k chips like me......

I cannot be the only one that feels royally screw@d over by this thing right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Is it not reasonable to ask an intel site to support 2600k/3930k users? Are you all tech elitists here?.... I thought I asked a pertinent question when you consider the amount of people on this globe running 6 or 7 year old intel tech......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

LOL! Your criticism pales in comparison to some that I have seen posted. Unless you do something that is against the code of conduct (read here: /docs/DOC-111979 Intel Communities House Rules), you shouldn't get locked out - and you would never get locked out without first receiving a warning.

Before I say anything else, let me start by stating that I do not work for Intel (I used to, and in fact for a very long time, but I am retired now) and I am not being compensated for my efforts helping folks solve or at least work around their issues. I am a volunteer. My opinions are my own. I am not shy about giving my opinions.

I believe that Intel has done everything that they can to shore up the defenses against these vulnerabilities. Attack vectors that cannot be mitigated via microcode updates must be mitigated via changes (workarounds) in O/Ss and Compilers. There is simply no other way to effect changes in these processors. If silicon changes are required, then it will be some time before processors with these changes are available. In the emerging processor generation, the mitigations possible via microcode update will be included in parts as they are released. It will be some time (my guess: at least another full generation) before processors that mitigate all known Spectre and Meltdown attack vectors will appear, however.

In the case of the microcode updates, Intel has made these updates available to board manufacturers, BIOS vendors and O/S vendors. Updates have been made available for all processors from the 2nd Core generation forward - and this includes both of your processors. By my reckoning, that's more than double the standard warranty period for these processors. I don't consider this as them ditching anyone.

Now, the problem becomes how you, in particular, get the microcode updates for your processor. The best way to get them is via BIOS update. The problem is that the many of the board manufacturers are refusing to provide BIOS updates for their older boards. In the case of Intel's Desktop Board products, when this business was shutdown in 2013, the build environments for many boards' BIOS was inadvertently lost and the team assigned responsibility for releasing BIOS updates simply cannot do anything about it. They are releasing updates for what boards they can (see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026630/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht... Intel-SA-00088 for Intel® Desktop Boards and https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028718/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht... Intel-SA-00115 for Intel® Desktop Boards for more information). Unfortunately, despite their commitment to provide what BIOSs they can, since this team is also responsible for the NUC, Compute Stick and Compute Card products, updates are appearing very slowly - but they are appearing.

For those board products (Intel and otherwise) that cannot get their microcode updates via BIOS updates, this means that your path for getting updates is via the O/S. The Linux and Linux-like distributions all have support for installing microcode updates and updated releases including these microcode updates are being produced. Because this is the open source community, most of these releases are built by volunteers (not paid employees) and thus updates are appearing only very slowly. On the other side of the house, Intel worked with Microsoft to get them to include supports for microcode updates in the Windows 10 O/S.

Bottom line, you should be covered; you haven't been ditched.

...S

0 Kudos