cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Swapping SATA inputs between SSD drives on Intel Desktop Board DZ68DB

Hello.

I have a pretty old board model (Intel Desktop Board DZ68DB). This board originally had 2 drives, SSD and HDD, both connected to the SATAIII (6GB) ports ("blue" ports) on my board. The SSD had the Win7 OS installed, and the HDD had some data.

I have added 2 more SSD drives to my board, and connected them to the available SATA ports. I have installed Win10 OS on one of them, and I currently have a dual boot pc and everything works fine.

Little did I know, the new SSD drives were connected to the SATAII (3GB) inputs, while the old ones (which are not even SATAII compatible..) are connected to the only two SATAIII ones.

Now, I want to swap between the old and the new drives so I can actually take advantages of the SATAIII performance. But! When I tried to do so, I couldn't boot up with any of them.

My question is, Is there a special case where the drive contain the OS, therefore the board will not "accept" the port swap? AFAIK, the SATA inputs are for data only. 😮

Thanks,

Shay.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Start bangling on F10 when you boot your system. You should see a boot menu.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Since you are using both SATA connector types, the drivers are all loaded and can support drives on either. Having drives move from one port to another should be automatically handled -- but you might have to make changes in the Boot Order list in BIOS Setup. As Al indicated, you can verify that you can still boot after moving the drives around by pressing F10 and selecting the drive you want to boot from. After verifying that it works, yu can then go into BIOS Setup and change the Boot Order to reflect the driver movement.

Now, where you might run into a problem is in your dual-boot support. You may also have to make changes in the GRUB configuration and/or Windows config file after moving the drives around.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos