Highlighted
Community Manager

System Insformation in Intel Desktop Utilities Memory speed still 1333Mhz

System Specs:

DZ77GA-70k BIOS v0045

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11R

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W PSU

i7-3770k

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature2/Dual Fan/2048MB (02G-P4-2687-KR)

VelociRaptor 1TB

OCZ synapse 64GB for cache

I overclocked my memory in the BIOS to 1866Mhz but the Intel Desktop Utilities still says it is 1333Mhz. Is my system really at 1333Mhz or is my setting using the BIOS did not take effect at all?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi

It is another bug with Intel software that has so far gone unfixed.

If you download CPU-Z (Google will find it) that will show you the actual memory speed, just double the MHz to get the DDR rate.

The Intel software seems to default to showing the memory speed as it identifies itself for defaults in the BIOS and not what it is running at.

Regards

Phil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Intel(R) Desktop Utilities is displaying the number that is provided by the BIOS. A number of boards have BIOSs that include this bug. We've reported the issue to the BIOS sustaining team and BIOSs including fixes are slowing being released. Watch for an update for your board's BIOS...

...Scott

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

This is what CPU-Z shows in my system. Should the DRAM frequency be multiplied by 2 in this or is my system really running at only 931Mhz?

Thank you guys for the info.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi

Yes double the MHz. DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so while the clock only runs at 931.4MHz in your example, memory is transferred twice per clock cycle. The bigger MHz is used as while not correct in terms of actual running clock frequency, it looks better for marketing and indicates the speed is double compared to older memory types.

931.4 x 2 = 1862.8MHz in DDR terms, which is essentially 1866MHz that you have set, they are often out by several MHz so nothing to worry about.

Regards

Phil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you Phil. So this is just a Intel Desktop Utility issue then.

0 Kudos