Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11448 Discussions

TPM 2.0 support DH61CR

tomh1991
Novice

Hi ,

With Windows 11 just on the corner i need a TPM 2.0 modul , what type do i need , as far as i see intel never did make TPM modules themself.

It would be ashame if my pc cant upgrade to windows 11 just because a missing TPM module?

Can somebody help me?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Already with the W11 requests... 

Review this thread:  https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Desktop-Boards/TPM-Compatibility/td-p/1234367

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11, aka the next Vista, has a centered task bar and lots of HYPE]

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

And this one as well: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Desktop-Boards/TPM-for-Intel-DH61WW-desktop-board/m-p/1293048.

The TPM module connector on the WW board is the same as that on your CR board.

...S

[Windows 11 is nothing but hype - oh, and a centered taskbar]

tomh1991
Novice

Thank you so much guys! , i have found what i was looking for

tomh1991
Novice

I have buyed a TPM module from gigabyte but in bios i dont see where to enable it , this is the module that i have : GIGABYTE GC-TPM2.0 , did i buy the wrong one?

n_scott_pearson

While I have seen some BIOSs that included it (so module can be disabled without removing it), an enable/disable switch is only guaranteed to be there if the board actually came equipped with a TPM (or has PTT feature built into its ME). On boards that simply supplied a TPM connector, you ultimately will need to test at runtime to see if it is present. Execute command "TPM.MSC" to run the built-in TPM program.

The TPM module required will have 20 pins. Any lesser number of pins and it is highly unlikely that it will work. The 20-pin version of the Gigabyte module which seems to be the right one has part id GC-TPM2.0_S (note the '_S'). I noticed that the entry on Amazon for the 20-pin version simply showed part id GC-TPM2.0, however.

Hope this helps,

...S

tomh1991
Novice

I did try tpm.msc and windows said compatible TPM cannot be found , i did buy the one with the 20pins : https://www.gigabyte.com/nl/Motherboard/GC-TPM20#ov , the one with the S after the name is : https://www.gigabyte.com/nl/Motherboard/GC-TPM20_S#ov that one has lesser pins.

Is it because the board doesnt support 2.0 or should i have buy the Asus one instead?

My board is on the latest BIOS version , maybe its removed support for TPM?

n_scott_pearson

You are right; I discovered that the '_S' means the Servers version of the module.

To be absolutely sure that a particular module is going to work, we need to have its pinout, so we can do a comparison. For those that do not have the TPS handy, here is the connector pinout:

n_scott_pearson_1-1624730100381.png

I was unable to find a pinout on the Gigabyte site (which is actually worse that the Intel site, which I thought was the worst).

Tell me: did you check for parameters in BIOS? After a lot of reading, I concluded that there should be TPM support in the BIOSs of all Intel Desktop Boards that have connectors for add-in TPM modules. Check for a TPM Clear capability in the Maintenance menu. More importantly, check for a TPM Enable/Disable parameter in the Advanced > Peripheral Configuration menu. You may need to set this parameter to Enable before a module works.

Hope this helps,

...S

tomh1991
Novice

i have googled and i have found this website : https://github.com/subutai-io/blockchain-router/issues/13 , there is a pinout for the module.
I have checked in the BIOS for TPM , but did not find such option as you said , i did included some screenshots from my BIOS , i cant see a option , it just looks like the board doesnt see the TPM module

n_scott_pearson

The option may not appear because the BIOS does not 'see' the module. In your motherboard's BIOS layout, the parameters should be present in the Configuration scenes. You could try powering on with the (yellow) BIOS Configuration jumper moved from the 1-2 pins to the 2-3 pins (which should get you into the Maintenance menu).

There was good information on that site, BTW, so thank you for providing that. I notice, however, that some of the links are to now-dead pages. It appears that Gigabyte is as bad as Intel for dropping pages related to older hardware.

...S

tomh1991
Novice

that was a task haha , my GPU would not come out that easy , but i did get it , however it did boot into Maintenance menu , but i did only saw Clear BIOS Passwords and Fixes Disk Boot Sector , all the other menu's did not changed , i even did a second try without the TPM and noting changed , and with TPM neither , i guess my board doesnt like the Gigabyte TPM , or is it my bios version ?

Your welcome for the info on that site , i just saw that  

n_scott_pearson

Latest (last) BIOS for your board is BE0120 (BEH6110H.86A.0120). What BIOS are you running? I am not seeing any entries in the BIOS Release Notes that would indicate that there was a problem with the TPM support. Still, you should be running on the latest regardless.

tomh1991
Novice

Thats the version that i am running at the moment , i find it strange because i saw in a document from Intel (what i cant find anymore) that the setting must be in my BIOS , but even without TPM module i dont see any option for TPM , i really dont know anymore.

n_scott_pearson

As I said earlier, I believe that, if the TPM is not recognized as being present, the parameters may not show up (be displayed) in BIOS Setup.

Without a working module, we will never know...

...S

tomh1991
Novice
Is there a module that is known to work on that board ? I Saw that Asus makes modules too , would it be wise to try that one?
n_scott_pearson

Well, I cannot say for sure (since it was so long ago), but I seem to remember the module I saw working was from Asus.

...S

tomh1991
Novice

Hi ,

I did some digging trough Intel product information websites and i may discoverd something about my processor i have now , if i look trough the specs of mine : https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/65510/intel-core-i5-3330s-processor-6m-cache-up... , there is a line with Intel® Trusted Execution Technology ‡ No , i really think thats the reason my board doesnt have the option for TPM enable.

If i choose for https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/65719/intel-core-i7-3770-processor-8m-cache-up-... 

with this processor is Intel® Trusted Execution Technology ‡ Yes.

I think this is the reason , do you guys think i am right?

AlHill
Super User

I think you need to abandon this effort. 

You do not even have a W10 supported machine.   You want a W11 supported machine?  Get yourself a MUCH newer platform with an 8th gen or later processor and stop wasting your time.

Just an opinion.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

powerarmour
Valued Contributor I

I agree with @AlHill , trying to keep an old Ivy Bridge system alive in the hope it'll be compatible with Windows 11 is a blind alley unfortunately.

If you can somehow get it to work, then great, but I certainly wouldn't recommend a system like that anymore to run anything new and shiny.

n_scott_pearson

And, to answer the question, no, you are completely wrong.

Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) has nothing to do with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) or Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT). These are the entries you want to look for.

...S

tomh1991
Novice

Intel TXT uses a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) and cryptographic techniques to provide measurements of software and platform components so that system software as well as local and remote management applications may use those measurements to make trust decisions. It complements Intel Management Engine. This technology is based on an industry initiative by the Trusted Computing Group (TCG) to promote safer computing. It defends against software-based attacks aimed at stealing sensitive information by corrupting system or BIOS code, or modifying the platform's configuration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Execution_Technology

Intel support told me i could try it , otherwise if i dont works i still have a nice upgrade as i dont have the funds for a new build atm.
It could be an processor support issue (words from Intel support team) that TPM is not visable in my BIOS , so i give it a try for 45 euro's what a I7 costs , it still a nice upgrade on a budget.