cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MTARO
Beginner

Troubleshooting with the ATA/ATAPI controller SATA

Hi

I have a troubleshooting  with the ATA/ATAPI controller SATA and I think that's what blocks me from the latest updates to windows 10. Indeed, with every major update of Windows , and since certainly the recent minor updates it is the intel driver that installs what each time caused a double reboot of the PC ( it went off after a few seconds and I had to restart it a second time ). So the solution was to put the former pilot back, AHCI Standard. See screenshots below

Could you tell me how to block the standard driver and prevent the intel driver from installing instead of the standard driver?

If you have another solution, I'm a lessee

Thank you in advance for your help

Regards

bortahel

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

This forum is for Intel Desktop Boards. What is the model number of your Intel Desktop Board?

How to block the standard driver, and to prevent the intel driver from installing? Then, you would have no driver.

The intel driver is not installing by itself. You have to be using some driver install tool, or Windows.

Doc

MTARO
Beginner

Thank Al.Hill for your fast answer

I don't know how do to find that ?

Regards

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Upload the resulting log file using the paperclip icon below the edit box.

...S

MTARO
Beginner

Hi n.scott

Please find the file

Regards

Michel

n_scott_pearson

First of all, you have a 2nd generation processor and a 6 Series ASUS motherboard, neither of which is supported by Intel for Windows 10. They work only because of Microsoft's compatibility drivers. Secondly, Intel does not provide standard ATA/ATAPI drivers; they are provided by Microsoft and optimally-configured by Intel INF files. Only if you choose RAID instead of AHCI and then install Intel RST will the Intel Storage driver be present. The 'but' here is that, for an old motherboard like this, there is no Windows 10 Intel RST support. If you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8.1, Microsoft will install an old version of Intel RST that will run, but it is not supported and upgrading Windows 10 will result in this version of intel RST no longer working (and potentially being automatically uninstalled).

Bottom line, you cannot use RAID on old, unsupported motherboards. Microsoft's compatibility drivers will allow Windows 10 to run on these boards, but you really must be choosing AHCI for clean operation.

...S

MTARO
Beginner

Hello n.scott

Thank you for your answer.

As I am a bit new in this field, what do you advise me to do exactly.

Could you please give me the way forward please?

Regards

Michel

n_scott_pearson

First, let's get some basic things out of the way, You were correct in setting the SATA Mode to AHCI in BIOS Setup. First, if you wanted it set to RAID so you could use (Intel RST-based) RAID, you cannot do so with Windows 10 and a motherboard and processor this old. If you want to use RAID, then you need to purchase a newer motherboard and processor. Second, if your BIOS supports the IDE setting, never use this ancient setting if you want to use Windows 10 and have it perform optimally. Now, if you had the SATA Mode set to RAID or IDE and you now have it set to AHCI, then you may not be able to boot your existing install of Windows 10. There are ways around this, but I think you should reinstall Windows 10 from scratch in this case. It's more work if you have other software installed, but better in the long run.

My assumptions:

1. You have a Windows 10 (or Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) license key.
  2. You want to install Windows 10 in English. If you don't, you will need to change step 3 to download the version of the tool in the language you prefer.
  3. You have an external backup of all your data files (documents, etc.) that you had stored on your main drive (because we are going to wipe out the entire contents of this drive).

Here are the steps you need to do:

1. In BIOS Setup, ensure that SATA Mode is set to AHCI and that UEFI Boot is enabled. I cannot help you here; I do not know the layout of the ASUS BIOS Setup (I have no ASUS boards).
  2. Get a USB flash disk that is 8GB or larger.
  3. On another PC, download and run Microsoft's Windows Media Creation Tool. Start from this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Choose the options to set up a USB flash drive. Note that this will be setting up the USB flash disk to install Windows 10 release 1909.
  4. Insert this USB flash disk into the machine to be set up.
  5. Choose to UEFI boot from this media.
  6. When the installer get to the page where you will select the partition to install Windows 10 to, do the following two steps:
  7. Select each existing partition on the intended drive and delete this partition. Do not stop until there is only one entry left (for unused/unallocated space) for this drive.
  8. Select the (unused/unallocated space) entry that is left and start installing Windows 10 to it (the installer will set up the partitions necessary).
  9. [Aside: deleting all partitions on the drive ensures that (a) the existing partition table on the drive will be replaced with a UEFI (GPT) partition table and (b) the installer can control the partitions created on the drive.]
  10. Allow Windows 10 to complete its install and then let it install any updates.
  11. Configure Windows 10 as you wish.
  12. Install any other software that you need.
  13. Restore your data files from your external backup.
  14. Done!

Hope this helps,

...S

MTARO
Beginner

Mode sata.jpg

MTARO
Beginner

Hello n.scott

Thank you for your answer.

I confirm that my OS is windows 10 version 1909.

I confirm that I am in SATA mode on AHCI in the BIOS installer. ( see screen copy )

I've already used the procedure to reinstall Windows from a bootable CD or directly from MediaTools.

Windows is working well right now on my computer .

I just remind you that I have two problems at the moment when I want to update windows last week:

1-     I can no longer install the last 2 windows updates by windows update and I get 3 reboots (diagnostics, repair attempts ...) then I go back to the original was in the advanced settings I used also the process to download the update from Microsf site .

2- The SATA Standard driver is replaced by the intel driver which gives me problem afterwards and I have to change it manually then

I think at this stage it is not necessary to reinstall windows, it is my opinion, but I can be wrong.

I know that a lot of users are having problems with the latest windows updates right now.

What do you think of my remarks and what would you do?

Best regards

Michel

n_scott_pearson

The Intel Storage Driver should only be installed if you have Intel RST installed. It is unclear to me why you are seeing it. You should never install the Intel RST package unless you are going to use RAID or Optane. Regardless, having the Intel Storage Driver installed should not cause any issues with Windows 10 updates. You have something else wrong; you should contact Microsoft and discuss this with them.

You are already running update 1909, the latest. What do you mean by "can no longer install the last two updates"? What updates?

...S

MTARO
Beginner

Hello n.scott

Thank you for your message.

My intention is to keep my current ASUS mother card and stay as is in AHCI mode. I see that the Intel RST software is installed in my You can see it in the control panel ( see screenshot of all installed intel softwares)

I may have installed  intel RST software myself from the ASUS site a long time ago, but it should not intervene.

To contact Microsoft and have answers is very difficult because I have an OEM license. So I have to manage myself or with the help of Internet users and forums, as you do so kindly.

The last 2 updates to windows 1909 that do not want to install were:

12 mars 2020 - KB4551762 (builds du système d’exploitation 18362.720 et 18363.720)

24 mars 2020 - KB4541335 (builds du système d’exploitation 18362.752 et 18363.752)

Best regards

Michel Pilote intel installés 31 mars 2020.jpg

n_scott_pearson

Yes, the idiots at Dell include this as a general, rather than optional, download. People thus blindly install it when it is often not at all necessary. If you are not using RAID, uninstall Intel RST (from Apps & Features, not Control Panel).

...S