Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KJoth
Beginner

Trying to setup DH87MC desktop board with NEC USB 2.0 PCI adapter as WHCK client machine but it hangs during Windows 8.1 startup

Summary:

Trying to setup DH87MC desktop board with NEC USB 2.0 PCI add-on adapter as WHCK client machine but system hangs during Windows 8.1 startup. This problem happens anytime I have a PCI adapter plugged in. No such problem when I remove USB 2.0 PCI adapter.

system configuration:

motherboard: Intel DH87MC

bios: MCH8710H.86A.0047.2013.0606.1508

processor: Intel Core i7-4771

ram: 32GB (corsair CML16GXM2A1600C9 4x8GB)

addon-1: Renesas USB 3.0 PCIx (D720202)

addon-2: ADS Tech NEC USB 2.0 PCI (D720101GJ) -- USBIF certified

Issue:

Any time I try to boot or install Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit OS -- it hangs at OS startup screens.

Please note that I'm able to boot into Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit OS and also able to install fresh Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit OS - when I remove add-on2 which is ADS Tech NEC USB 2.0 PCI card!

Tried other USB 2.0 PCI card and also by having it plugged to other PCI slots that are available - but no luck (system hangs at Windows 8.1 startup screen).

note: same add-on pci and pcix - works fine with no problem in intel desktop board DZ77SL-50K in which Windows 8.1 boots like a charm and able to run WHCK tests.

Any help in getting this issue resolved is much appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Please be aware that Intel® attempt to make as many third party components compatible as possible, but do to the sheer quantity of these third party components we cannot always guarantee compatibility. Unfortunately in this instance this would appear to be the case.

• I would recommend you to test another PCI device, it could be a sound card or a video card in order to make sure the PCI port it's not defective.
  • You can also try rolling back to the previous BIOS version 0043, and test the PCI again.
  • To this day, there are not drivers available for Windows 8.1 yet. Drivers are provided for production versions of validated operating systems; and Windows 8.1 it's a preview version.
KJoth
Beginner

Greetings Sylvia_intel and thanks for responding to my question.

Based on your answer -- I'm guessing you missed to read the note section that I had listed in my question.

Let me summarize again:

Same set of add-on PCI cards works like a charm in Intel DZ77SL50K motherboard that I used for WHCK certification with Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit OS (RTM build 9600). Windows 8.1 did load native driver for ADS Tech's USBIF certified NEC USB 2.0 add-on PCI card.

Problem is with new motherboard DH87MC - in which it just hangs when I try to boot from Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit OS DVD.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Karthi, I didn't miss it, however I would like you to do is to connect the Renesas USB 3.0 on a regular PCI and the ADS Tech NEC USB 2.0 on the PCI-e and restart the system. This is just for testing purposes.

I know the 2 devices work OK on the DZ77SL.

Then, you can try rolling back to the previous BIOS version or wait until the Windows 8.1 drivers are available.

KJoth
Beginner

Hello Sylvia_intel,

I don't think your suggestion is possible - I mean connecting/inserting PCIx to a regular PCI slot.

Also, I don't think I have to wait for drivers as Windows 8.1 already has native drivers for ADS Tech's USBIF certified NEC USB 2.0 add-on PCI card.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes you are correct; there is no way to switch the adapters to a PCI or a PCI-e. When the Renesas USB 3.0 PCIx is connected to the board, you are able to boot to Windows, is that correct?

Have you tried this same configuration, but running Windows 7 or regular Windows 8 operating systems?

May I have the AA# and the serial number of your motherboard?

KJoth
Beginner

With just 'Renesas USB 3.0 PCIx connected - 'Windows 8 Enterprise 64bit' and 'Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit' -- both boot fine in DH87MC desktop motherboard.

Sorry, at this moment - DH87MC desktop motherboard is busy running 'Windows Hardware Certification tests'.

AA# G74242-401

serial# BTMC330007NY

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Which is the behavior if you connect only the PCI on the board?

We now have available the drivers for Windows 8.1, in case that you want to install them. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel%20Desktop%20Board%20dh87mc https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel%20Desktop%20Board%20dh87mc

In regards to your issue, I'm going to try to replicate this issue.

KJoth
Beginner

With just PCI plugged into PCI slot of DH87MC - system hangs when I try to boot from Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit OS DVD & Windows 8 Enterprise 64bit OS DVD.

With no PCI adapter plugged into PCI slot of DH87MC - able to install Windows 8 & Windows 8.1 both enterprise 64bit edition. But, when PCI adapter is plugged in - system hangs at OS startup screen!

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Karthi, for any chance do you have any other PCI device that you could test, like a video card for example?

Would you please try to boot on save mode?

Have you tried using Windows 7?

KJoth
Beginner

Looks like Intel's new and latest bios for DH87MC addresses this issue:

motherboard: Intel DH87MC

bios: MCH8710H.86A.0152.2013.1104.2159

processor: Intel Core i7-4771

ram: 32GB (corsair CML16GXM2A1600C9 4x8GB)

addon-1: Renesas USB 3.0 PCIx (D720202)

addon-2: ADS Tech NEC USB 2.0 PCI (D720101GJ) -- USBIF certified

With new BIOS, Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit OS is booting fine with no hang up problem with NEC USB 2.0 PCI card inserted. Finally

On to my next task -- see if I can use this machine as a WHCK Client (crossing my fingers).