Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMarr3
Novice

Trying to update BIOS DZ77GA-70K

Trying to do an F7 BIOS update via USB thumb drive, but I can't get the drive to be recognized in the F7 list, its showing only my installed hard drives. Should the USB thumb drive be installed into a specific USB port? Express update has never worked on my machine.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi John, you may want to try the back panel USB 2.0 ports and have the drive formatted as fat-32.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dz77ga-70k/sb/CS-033467.htm Intel® Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K — Tested peripherals

JMarr3
Novice

Thanks Joe, I did in fact try one of the top rear yellow USB 2.0 ports. Should it matter what port? I will try reformating and also try another thumb drive.

Thank you.

NSCOTT_P_Intel
Employee

John,

First, to answer your question, which rear USB 2.0 port you use should not matter. There are some compatibility issues that can crop up with USB 3.0 ports, so I agree you should stay away from them.

Do you have Fast Boot enabled? One of the things that Fast Boot disables is USB detection. If so, try disabling this feature...

...Scott

JMarr3
Novice

Thanks Scott,

Fast Boot was not enabled but I had to enable USB Boot. Once I did that it would read the flash drive but my BIOS update still FAILED. Same as when I tried to update using the .exe file. I am getting an error that flashing the Intel Management engine failed. So I'm stuck on the 039 BIOS unable to update...it should not be so hard, sorry.

John

JMarr3
Novice

As mentioned the update failed and don't know where to go next.....

NSCOTT_P_Intel
Employee

Ah, that's the missing information I needed. You have the old ME firmware and it won't allow itself to be updated. In order to get the later BIOSs and later ME firmware installing, you need to do a BIOS recovery operation. The instructions for doing this can be found here: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm?wapkw=bios+recovery http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm?wapkw=bios+recovery...

...Scott

JMarr3
Novice

Thanks again Scott...Was hoping not to have to do that, a bit scary...but I'll give it a go. Would you say I should update to current BIOS in increments since I have a very early BIOS or should I just go to the latest? Also I assume since its a BIOS recovery that everything will be reset to defaults? Any potential problems to look for when I get back to Windows?

Really appreciate the help.

John

NSCOTT_P_Intel
Employee

I would recommend that you do this in 2-3 steps. Install BIOS 45 first using the recovery process and then go to the latest BIOS in 2-3 steps using the F7 or EXE methods. There shouldn't be any issues with Windows, though it may re-enumerate devices on each reboot if you let it go all the way into Windows...

...S

JMarr3
Novice

Thanks for your help Scott...I'll let you know how it goes.

John

JMarr3
Novice

Scott,

Thanks for the help, now at BIOS 0066 though I had to do BIOS recovery each time as express BIOS always failed at the Intel ME engine.

Regards