MB: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer

CPU: Intel i7 4790K

GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 960

RAM: 16gb Gskill DDR3 1866

SSD x 2

750W power supply

DVD optical drive

Card reader

USB 2.0 headers on my Mobo are no longer working (two total). I recently installed an Intel AC-7260 wireless card with bluetooth (requires header for bluetooth functionality), worked fine. Installed a card reader (required a header as well, in addition to the ports on the front- so I bought the NZXT IU01 USB expansion, worked like a charm). I noticed BT no longer working. USB Card Reader no longer working. Seems to have power, my portable HDD indicator light flashes briefly when plugged in and is spinning.

Summary:

- USB 2.0 headers not working.

- USB 2.0 ports on the rear work fine.

- USB 3.0 ports all work fine.

- Tried both devices on both headers, nothing.

- Tried updating and rolling back intel chipset drivers, nothing.

I'm baffled as to what I should do next. I'm no computer genius, but I know my way around my computer. Numerous searches reveal nothing useful. I tried to retrace my steps, and the only thing I can think is I had to rearrange the power connections inside my case so everything would reach when I installed the DVD drive, but the USB 2.0 headers are powered by the main MB 24 pin power connector, correct? Anything I am missing here? I assume it's a driver issue (as there is power to the headers)?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I suggest you contact ASRock...

idata
Community Manager

Yes, that is in progress. Thought I would check with the community here to see if there's something I'm not seeing. Just seems strange that I have power to the ports but no data connection.

idata
Community Manager

Hello thepianoman,

I agree with N.Scott.Pearson, this is looking like a motherboard issue. Once you have a answer from ASRock, please let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Community Manager

Thanks, I'll keep you updated. I've uninstalled/installed USB Root Hubs in device manager, chipset drivers, etc... I am tempted to reinstall windows, but wanted to wait to see what ASRock says. I'm right up against the end of my warranty windows (ends on 12/21), so timing is good for a replacement anyway.

idata
Community Manager

Keep me posted.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Community Manager

ASRock advised me to RMA the motherboard. I'm going to consider this closed at this point- unless by chance that doesn't solve the issue (which would be strange). Thanks for checking in!