Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

USB3 Front panel cable length does not reach MoBd.

Jump to solution

anHello,

I just finished installing my new Intel DZ77RE-75K motherboard and an Intel i7 3770 CPU into my case, which is a ATX form factor case of no huge dimensions, in fact, small as these go. The USB3 cable which goes from the back of the USB3 front panel piece will not reach my motherboard. It is short by at least 4 inches. SO I presently, temporarily, have the front panel just lying in the lowest open bay, about 3 inches from the front edge of the case.

I do not see any type of extension possible that is available for this 20 pin connection which would need a male side and then the female side to push onto the motherboard header of 20 pins; I looked at newegg.com. Does anyone else have this problem and what did you do to get your front panel USB3 piece to be at the front edge of your case bay, and still reach comfortable to connect to the motherboard header?

While I'm here, does anyone have a suggestion of an item to "Fit" the bay flat piece arond this "front panel" so that it fits a 5.25 inch bay opening with a black bay cover thing that one could punch out certain areas to "Fill in" the gaps? The provided USB3 front panel piece must be designed for the 3.25 inch bay opening.

Thank you,

Debra

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Debra--

eBay is your friend! Search there for 'usb 3.0 20 pin male to female extension cable' to find many items like this, for as little as $4.99 with free shipping:

And if you search for '3.5" to 5.25" bay converter' you'll discover many variations on this device, for only about $3 plus shipping:

Good luck with finishing your build!

Ron

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Debra--

eBay is your friend! Search there for 'usb 3.0 20 pin male to female extension cable' to find many items like this, for as little as $4.99 with free shipping:

And if you search for '3.5" to 5.25" bay converter' you'll discover many variations on this device, for only about $3 plus shipping:

Good luck with finishing your build!

Ron

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you Ron, I had not checked ebay, although I have bought from there on occasion. I will look into those items you showed, I appreciate your time and reply.

I am marking the answer"correct answer".

Thank you,

Debra

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

UPDATE:

I received the USB3 externder cable that I ordered from ebay (blue, one male and one female end) and I attached it today so that the supplied cable from the supplied front bay card with two USB3 ports (from Intel, with my motherboard) would reach the USB3 header. After connecting, I tried the two ports with a USB3 compact flash card reader, and they work fine, very fast, so I'm happy to have the help I was given to find this extender piece(from ebay).

Thanks, Debra

0 Kudos