cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AShar40
Beginner

Ubuntu 14.04 doesn't boot from boot menu on Haswell

Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 desktop in UEFI mode on Intel haswell system. Here I am observing that boot entry is being created as "Ubuntu" but while selecting it to boot is causing boot failure and coming back to UEFI BIOS setup. Now if I change the EFI\Ubuntu\grubx64.efi to EFI\Boot\Bootx64.efi from shell then it is booting. Alternatively if I create a new boot entry pointing to EFI\Ubuntu\grubx64.efi then also booting is working. This problem is not seen Asus Z87 and Asus P8 series system. After doing some searching I found that similar issue has been seen in DELL servers with Suse Linux ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_software/esuprt_operating_system/n... ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_software/esuprt_operating_system/n... and as per the cause mentioned in the document is "This is caused due to the way Linux creates the GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition.". But I want to mention that this issue on haswell system I have seen only with NVMe device. When I install Ubuntu 14.04 in UEFI mode in an AHCI device on the same haswell system this issue is not coming, I mean it directly boots to Ubuntu without any workaround. Also like I have mentioned already when I install Ubuntu 14.04 in UEFI mode in NVMe device on Asus Z87 system that also boot to Ubuntu without any manual intervention. I just want to know what exactly is causing this issue. Also Linux doesn't create usual /dev/sd* for NVMe device. NVMe devices are listed as /dev/nvme0n1 and the partitions are as /dev/nvme0n1p1,/dev/nvme0n1p2 and so on. But if it is a problem with Ubuntu itself how come the same is working on Asus system ? Is there any issue in haswell UEFI setup also ?

Regards,

Arka

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the Intel desktop board community.

I understand you are experiencing some issues on Ubuntu and Asus motherboards.

Please bear in mind that Intel does not provide support for Linux operating systems.

You can try any of the Linux support groups that may help with the issues your are getting with Ubuntu.

http://www.linux.com/community http://www.linux.com/community

Allan.