Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Unable to update bios past 0035 DH61CR

Basically I have tried F7 method and it said it wasn't available on this version of the bios (0035), Intel express bios fails Everytime , Iflash never installs the bios upon reboot, and bios recovery never boots ​when using the jumper and the drive (tried all of my drives). Do you guys have any possible ideas on what is going on? The bios launch normally I just can't upgrade them.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

For successful BIOS Recovery, you need to,

1. Take your USB 2.0 (not USB 3.0!) flash disk to a Windows-based PC (not Linux- or MacOS-based!) and reformat it, using the FAT32 file system (no other!), with the Quick Format option disabled.
  2. Copy the .BIO file onto this flash disk. Note: only ever have one .BIO file on the flash disk.
  3. Properly eject this flash disk (do not just yank it out; you should never to that).
  4. Power off the CR-based system and unplug its A/C cord.
  5. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board.
  6. Plug the flash disk into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the rear panel of the board. Do not use blue or orange USB 3.0 port. Do not use front panel USB ports of any kind.
  7. Reconnect A/C power and press power button.
  8. You should see flash disk being accessed (if it has an access LED). You should then see the BIOS Recovery progress on screen.
  9. If you never see BIOS Recovery progress screen (it instead just sits there with screen blank), do not turn off the PC for at least 10 minutes (just in case it is doing the BIOS Recovery without a display).

If a BIOS Update (via F7, iFlash, EBU or even the Recovery method) does not work (does not start), the two most common causes are (1) an incompatibility with the flash disk or (2) poor/bad memory. If the system has to go through a reset cycle because the memory fails to initialize properly, the BIOS will "forget" that it is doing a BIOS Update and will do a normal boot (or, in the case of BIOS Recovery, simply hang and do nothing). If you seem to be seeing this, remove all but one DIMM and try again. If this fails, try with another DIMM. If it fails with every DIMM, borrow some and try again.

Ok, we now need to discuss what you need to do overall. You are on a very old BIOS and will need to do the upgrade in a number of steps. There are notes in the BIOS Release Notes file that explain parts of the process, but I will summarize it here to make it easier.

Note: Do not take any shortcuts. Doing so could result in a bricked BIOS.

Note: I recommend that you do all of these BIOS update operations using the BIOS Recovery process. If you wish, you can use F7 or iFlash method for those steps that I do not specifically say requires BIOS Recovery, but, again, I do not recommend it.

1. Make sure a 2nd generation Intel Core processor is installed. If you don't have one, you cannot proceed.
  2. Using the BIOS Recovery process, upgrade to BIOS 41.
  3. If you are going to use a 3rd generation Intel Core processor, install it now.
  4. Using the BIOS Recovery process, upgrade to BIOS 48.
  5. Using the BIOS Recovery process, upgrade to BIOS 99.
  6. Upgrade to BIOS 109.
  7. Upgrade to BIOS 115.
  8. Upgrade to BIOS 120.

Again, no shortcuts. Skipping a step could brick your BIOS.

After performing all of these operations, you also need to do the following process. Do not skip any steps.

1. At the BIOS Splash Screen, use the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Scroll down and select the Additional System Information scene.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom of the display and make sure that the ME firmware version is 8.1.0.1248.
  4. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key when prompted) to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults.
  5. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key when prompted) to save the (now default) BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  6. At the BIOS Splash Screen again use the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup.
  7. Make any changes to the BIOS Configuration that are required by your hardware configuration (Boot Devices, Boot Order, etc.) or that you desire (disabling NUMLOCK, etc.).
  8. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key when prompted) to save the updated BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  9. Test boot ability, etc.

Hope this helps; let me know if you have any difficulties or additional questions.

...S

0 Kudos