cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YSing5
Beginner

Upgrading Processor and RAM

Hi Guys,

I am planning to upgrade my Intel core i3-540 processor to one of the i5 processors (probably 6th or 7th Generation). Also I want to upgrade my 4 GB ram to 8gb one. I removed this info from dxdiag. I am not so good at computers so please help me with questions posted down the info.

Here is my PC's info :-

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 5/20/2019, 10:51:46

Machine name: JARVIS-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: INTEL_

System Model: DH55PJ__

BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/26/10 13:44:50 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3894MB RAM

Page File: 1063MB used, 6721MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i3)

DAC type: Internal

Display Memory: 1696 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: S19A10N

Monitor Id: SAM083E

Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.790Hz)

Output Type: HD15

Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2141 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2141

DDI Version: 10

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

I wanted to ask a couple questions:-

1. Whether I need to upgrade my graphics card or no?? () [Because it is showing Intel HD Graphics (core i3) means it is for i3(I think)]

2. Whether I need to upgrade my BIOS ?? And if yes please guide me how to do so??

Also, if anybody can recommend any good processor, I would be grateful.

That's all folks. Thanks in advance for help.

Yash

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, in order to upgrade to a 6th generation or newer processor, you must also replace your motherboard and you must also replace your memory. You must replace your motherboard because it does not have the right socket for any of these processors. You must also replace your memory because these processors are typically matched with DDR4 memory and your current memory is DDR3 (which won't even plug into these new motherboards).

Ok, answering your questions,

1. You actually do not have a graphics card at all. You are using the graphics subsystem that is built into your processor. While the graphics subsystem built into the 6th generation processors is considerably better than that in your existing processor (and succeeding generations improve on it even more), if there is any chance that you will want to run any modern games, then you might want to also consider adding a graphics card.
  2. This question is moot. You will be replacing the motherboard and thus replacing the BIOS. It is possible (actually close to probable), however, that you will need to upgrade the BIOS on any motherboard that you purchase. I cannot tell you how to do this because it will depend upon what motherboard you will purchase. We can talk about this after you make your purchasing decision.

Some other comments:

1. Practically speaking, you will be replacing the guts of your existing system. Considering that you should probably upgrade your storage (to a SSD for greater performance), I might suggest that you consider replacing your entire system.
  2. If you want to stick with your existing system, you do have the option of upgrading your 2nd generation Core i3 processor to a 2nd generation Core i5 or even a 2nd generation Core i7 processor. This will give you a small performance boost. I do not think that this is a good option, however. Your system is now 9 years old. That's pushing the failure boundaries. This is throwing good money for bad.
  3. Considering your skill level, you might want to consider purchasing a new, fully-integrated system from a OEM like HP, Dell or Lenovo. It can often save money - and considerable frustration - doing this rather than purchasing components and building it yourself.
  4. Remember that purchasing a 7th generation or newer processor will absolutely require moving to Windows 10. Starting with the 7th generation processors, only 64-bit Windows is being supported by Intel.

Hope this helps,

...S

YSing5
Beginner

I cannot upgrade SSD because I brought my 1 TB HDD a month ago.

You mean replacing the entire motherboard or the entire box (by saying the entire system)??

You said to purchase entire system from OEM like HP, Dell etc. Why not from intel??

If I purchase a fully integrated system, then would I be able to upgrade my components in future without hampering any things??

YSing5
Beginner

I mean would I be able to customize my PC in future? Because someone said that those PCs come with soldered parts because of which it would be difficult to upgrade components.

Please reply to this question.​

Thanks for answering my previous questions​

n_scott_pearson

In order to upgrade your processor, you also need to upgrade (yes, replace) both your ​motherboard and your memory. That's the bulk of your system, so replacing it completely should not be outside the realm of possibility.

You can most certainly look at the NUC platforms, but you are correct; the processor​ is soldered down and cannot be upgraded. In addition, unless you purchase an L10 system, you would also need to add memory (DDR4 SODIMMs) and storage yourself. Regardless, you wouldn't be able to use the 3.5" HDD you just purchased as only M.2 SSDs and 2.5" SSDs/HDDs/SSHDs can be used.

I​f you purchase a traditional, even turnkey, tower system, you will have the ability to upgrade components (processor, motherboard, etc.) in the future.

​...S

YSing5
Beginner

Is it really necessary to buy the whole thing because the Intel motherboard supports i5 processor and also upto 8gb ram. ​I think I will go with these two instead of buying a whole new thing.

​It is written on the package

So, can you please answer whether I need to update my bios NOW or AFTER installing new processor and RAM??

Thanks for answering previous questions.​

YSing5
Beginner

Means would the i5-7400 processor work if I installed it on my motherboard​. I know it is 7th generation. But still.

YSing5
Beginner

I searched and found that not even i5 2nd generation will fit into DH55PJ cause they require LGA1155 sockets while DH55PJ requires LGA1156 ones.

So my bad luck I can upgrade only to i5 1st generation untill I buy whole system.

I​ got it now. Thanks very much for help.

n_scott_pearson

Actually, there are multiple Core i7 processors that you could upgrade to as well. Alas, these 1st gen.​ processors - and your DH55PJ - are not supported if your goal is to cleanly run Windows 10.

...S