Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KReal2
Novice

Using onboard graphics together with a separate graphics card

Jump to solution

Hello

Is it possible to use onboard graphics together with a separate graphics card? I have only one paired DVI/HDMI and one VGA on my video card and I want to connect two monitors using DVI/HDMI.

MB is DZ77RE-75K

Graphics is ATI Radeon 5450

BR,

Kir

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Kir,

If combining the on board Intel® HD Graphics with a external PCI/PCIe video card, Windows will allow using the two graphics controllers at the same time, but the only dual display mode available is "Extended desktop". If you are looking for other dual display options like "Clone display" then it will be necessary to connect the two monitors into one of the graphics solutions, the on board or the video card so Windows will give you the dual display modes available depending on the graphics adapter.

In order to accomplish this, the most important thing is to change some settings on the BIOS. Please go to the configuration tab>video>integrated graphics device> set to "always enable"

Regards.

View solution in original post

48 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Kir,

If combining the on board Intel® HD Graphics with a external PCI/PCIe video card, Windows will allow using the two graphics controllers at the same time, but the only dual display mode available is "Extended desktop". If you are looking for other dual display options like "Clone display" then it will be necessary to connect the two monitors into one of the graphics solutions, the on board or the video card so Windows will give you the dual display modes available depending on the graphics adapter.

In order to accomplish this, the most important thing is to change some settings on the BIOS. Please go to the configuration tab>video>integrated graphics device> set to "always enable"

Regards.

View solution in original post

KReal2
Novice

Hi Sylvia,

Now I can see two cards in device mgr, however nothing happens when I plug in second monitor into integrated HDMI port. Intel cards is shown as "working properly"

I've installed latest Intel GFX driver and software, but still no luck. I'm also unable to run Intel HD graphics Control Panel.

Windows is Win 8 x64

BR,

Kir

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Kir,

I need to know the following information in order to try to find a solution on your inquire.

1. On BIOS, did you set the integrated graphics device as "always enable"?
  2. Do you have 1 monitor connected to the HDMI of your motherboard?
  3. Are you able to have video using the onboard video of your motherboard? No video card installed?
  4. On the video card, are you using the DVI, HDMI or the display port to connect the 2nd monitor?
  5. Which BIOS version do you have installed on your motherboard?

Regards.

Moneyman31
Novice

Hello everyone, wish u cud help me too. My problem is I cant see any option in my bios where the intel hd Graphics card to enabled or disabled. There is no option in my bios setup? is there a way to enabled it all the time in the command prompt? 

FYI: When I first installed my 3 monitors to the gpu and one monitor to the motherboard it works perfectly ok. But after 2 days of using it my laptop wont accept the onboard graphics and the egpu anymore. I can only use onboard or egpu individualy. No new updates where done or changes in drivers because they work perfectly.

FYI: Im using a laptop with external gpu installed using the EXP GDC beast dock. hope someone can help me.

KReal2
Novice

Hi,

I've managed to make it work. I've set Intel Integrated Video as Primary in BIOS and now both graphics can be used. By default it was set to Auto.

So there are two things to do in bios:

1. set integr video to Always Enable

2. set Primary video to Intel integr

Thanks,

Kir

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Kir, I am glad to know it is working now.

RReye5
Beginner

I have a similar problem, I want to connect a PCI vga card to a Intel Core i5 processor 3330 i think tha the graphics card has and VGA and an HDMI,but I also want to put a PCI card to connect a third monitor so that a program can work with tha, but when I put the PCI card it doesn't give me nothing of output on neither one when both cards are on the motherboard. can someone help out here forgot tomention is a windows 8.1 - 64 bits

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

If you are using the same motherboard, please make sure you installed the latest graphics drivers for W8.1 64bits. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23339&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23339&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208...

Using the onboard video, would you please try the following workaround and let me know the results?

1. Go to the secure boot options on BIOS

2. Enable secure boot (if disabled)

3. Check on the option that says "Install Intel platform key"

4. Press F10 to save changes and restart the system

EFrid
Beginner

I just setup ASUS Q87M-E LGA 1150 Intel Q87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with 2 MSI N9600GT-2D512-OCv2 GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. Initially both cards where recognized and I was able to run 4 monitors from the PCIe video cards. But I also need to be able to run additional monitors using the onboard video processor, but for some reason I can't see additional monitors being connected. After reading some posts I have "enabled" my multi-monitor option in the BIOS setting for iGPU and made iGPU the primary source. That just allows me to use the onboard display and it no longer recognized the 2 video cards in the PCIe slots.

How do I get them to run together at the same time?

Thank you,

Erik

P.S. I'm running Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics, If that is helpful.

OCarm
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

I've an Acer Aspire M5460 with an integrated graphics card ATI Radeon HD3850 and Windows Vista 32 bit. I've always used the DVI output (in the graphics card) but now I need to connect the PC to a TV with hdmi. The HDMI port (and VGA) are on the motherboard... After connecting the PC and tv with hdmi cable and adjust the screen settings to use 2 monitors continues without displaying anything on TV, the message "No Signal" appears continually (same test and same result with VGA port). I understand that the only "working" video output is the graphics card and not the motherboard.

I tried to set it in the bios following your instructions but there is no option (I attached the screenshot with the info of my bios).

I've asked Acer and they tell me that is not possible to have the graphics card and the motherboard working at the same time.. Is that true? If I want to use the hdmi output I've to remove the graphic card from my computer?

Thank you very much for your help,

Best Regards,

Oscar

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Oscar that is totally true. Once a video card is installed on a motherboard, it automatically disables the onboard video. It will be necessary to use the graphics ports provide by the video card.

Regards,

CCast15
Beginner

I have that problem too. can you help me with that? i dont know if im doing it wrong, but i really dont know where is the "enable" in video card. it has an option PEG??/Vga under advanced chipset. then when i select vga, it only uses my onboard graphics, when i select PEG or Auto, it uses my graphic card. it switches off what is not selected.. my BIOS is Phoenix Award BIOS??? pg6.00 i think... or something like that... help me pls...

sylvia_intel i hope u can help me with this... thank you...

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Jay, when you use a video card, it automatically disables the onboard video.

I suggest you to contact your computer manufacture so they can guide and give you more information on this behavior you are experiencing.

CCast15
Beginner

is it hardware problem? is it possible that my motherboard wont support that dual monitor? anyway, thank you sylvia_intel

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

In our motherboards is an expected behavior. Therefore, I would recommend you to check with the system manufacture.

Moneyman31
Novice

Hello everyone, wish u cud help me too. My problem is I cant see any option in my bios where the intel hd Graphics card to enabled or disabled. There is no option in my bios setup? is there a way to enabled it all the time in the command prompt?

AlHill
Super User

You need to ask your motherboard/system manufacturer what their bios supports and how to do it.

Typically, if you insert an add-on card (nvidia or amd), the processor graphics are disabled.

JBrow25
Beginner

Hi there,

I am looking to do the same thing with 3 monitors - here is the things that seem to be the right items to tell you about before this Bios can be done.

System Manufacturer: Packard Bell

System Model: ipower G5800

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT

Can it be done?

Thank you for any advice.

Kind regards

John

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello John, in order to have 3 monitors in your system, your BIOS would need to have switchable graphics. You have a first generation I7 processor, and this family does not have this feature.

Once you installed a PCIx card on your motherboard, the onboard graphics are automatically (electronically) disabled

You would be able to have triple display by using a PCI-x video card with 2 video ports and you would also need a regular PCI video card with one port.

JBrow25
Beginner

Hi there Sylvia

Thank you for your e-mail. I am looking at a new graphic card at the moment after spending the weekend looking on Google to see if there was a way round it. You would have thought that if the is a monitor hole coming out of the motherboard that you could use it, but oh no!

Oh well onwards and upwards.

Kind regards

John