Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only

Wake from sleep

CMull13
Beginner

I have a DP67DE desktop board and spasmodically the computer wont wake from sleep, the number lock light comes on on the keyboard but no power to the mouse and screen does not wake up cant find an answer wondering if some power problem or WIN 10 problem, is somebody could point me in the right direction.

I did install a card reader into the front panel and connected to the USB 2 headers on the board and that seemed to make it worse after working correctly for a week, and yes was a USB 2 device.

So at a loss what could make the computer do this will work OK for days then has one of these fits!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Spasmodically? Your PC has spasms? Fits? What does that look like? Does it shake the room?

Ok, getting serious. We are going to need more information about your system. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select all data categories, generate the report and then have the tool Save the report to a file. Don't try to use the tool's Submit capability; it doesn't work. Finally, attach the report to a response message. Using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog (below the edit box for the body of your response post), upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

CMull13
Beginner

OK here is the file as requested, and thanks for the reply as it is doing my head in as I dont know what the processes that take place in sleeping and then wake 

n_scott_pearson

According to the scan, the system is having a problem resuming because of an issue with the memory. This is the actual message included in the log:

The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance.

As a suggestion, power off and remove the DIMMs in the black sockets. Boot up and run with it like this for a few days and see if the problem happens again. If it does, remove the DIMMs in the blue sockets and replace them with the DIMMs you removed from the black sockets originally. Boot up and run and see if the problem happens.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Another thing you can try: Check in BIOS Setup in the Power parameters and see if there is one that enables a wait during resume (it probably mentions the video card in this context). Enable it and see if it makes a difference.

CMull13
Beginner

Thanks Scott,

Yes now you point it out I see that error over and over, could that mean some of the Ram is faulty or incompatible ?

Also just thinking in the swapping also if at first does not fix should I try mix and match between all to put in the two blue sockets?

And if none of that works maybe buy a new set of four ram modules ?

n_scott_pearson
Let's not jump the gun. Let's see if backing off from 4 to 2 DIMMs makes a difference.
...S
CMull13
Beginner

OK will take some time to do these steps so will get back to you when I have result

CMull13
Beginner

Dont want to upset your thinking but here is a scan from my other desktop that I use for a YouTube studio with no sleep problems and has the same reports with the MTRR

This Board is a DP67BG

Not withstanding I will plow on with the tests on the other one with the problem

CMull13
Beginner

Scott,

Finally a report back from all that testing you asked for

Option 1 was no good lasted 2 days and failed.

So swapped sticks and now seems to be fixed we are on 5 days and always works as it should.

The question for me is what have we proved ?

The first two sticks of Ram have a problem or maybe only one has?

Please give me advice where to go from here, I guess I could just keep running with 8Gb Ram as this machine does not do anything very heavy in processing.

There was nothing in the Bios to adjust

n_scott_pearson

There are a number of possibilities for what is occurring,

1. One or both of these DIMMs are borderline bad.
  2. Having two DIMMs per channel is causing noise and memory transfer failures. Can't really tell if failure is happening because of board, processor or DIMMs - but I would guess board, to be honest.

I would keep running it as it is for now. Give it a couple of weeks to be sure.

...S