Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JTrew
Novice

What board would be a one step up from a DG41TY core 2 E8400PU @ 3.0 GHZ Rebuilding a older desktop ?

Rebuilding a older desktop .Thinking of replacing motherboard,DG41TY core 2 duo E8400 cpu @ 3.0 GHZ 2gb ram

cpu series core 2 dwo memory type ddr2 sdram.

What board might be a slight step up ? PC only used for basic functions.no gaming.

oljohn

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

For this (lower-end) usage model, I would suggest that you look for a motherboard utilizing one of the 8-, or 9-Series chipsets and combine it with a Core i3-4XXX processor. From lowest to highest Cost/Performance, the available chipsets are H81, B85, H87, H97 and Z87 (I leave out Q87; you don't need the corporate features). H81 chipset-based boards start at US$50. B85 chipset-based boards starts at US$70. H87 and H97 chipset-based boards start at $75. Finally, Z87 and Z97 chipset-based boards start at $95. The better the chipset you choose, the more options you have to upgrade to better performing (Core i5, i7) processors later...

...Scott

P.S. This is more than one step up, but the (compatibility, etc.) issues you will fight with older chipsets/boards/processors is just not worth it (IMHO).

JTrew
Novice

Thanks Scott for your very informative reply. Gives the direction I was looking for.Most likely will stay at the lower end

of your suggestions.

oljohn

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No problem. Glad to help. I would add that I am pointing you to a slightly higher niche product (forgive me, I am spoiled). If you want to save a little more money, you can certainly also look at Pentium and Celeron processors; the H81 chipset is primarily focused on the support of these processors so compatibility should not be an issue...

...S

JTrew
Novice

THANKS Scott for additional info. There is lots of info out there .so I will be spending some time

just seeing what is offered.Ebay has lots of venders selling among others. New and old. Like to

stay with complete board to a degree,so it takes carefull reading.

THANKS again Scott ,your input is helpull.

John