Did you mean: 
SHans19
Beginner

What is the speed on the msata port

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The mSATA drive is using the miniPCIe connector for power, but is using only the embedded SATA lane for data communications (i.e. it is NOT using the PCIe lane(s) available). In modern systems, this communication is limited by the 6Gb/s capability of the SATA lane. This means that the maximum transfer rate is 750MB/s, but due to some physical overhead that occurs when encoding data for transfer, it actually has a practical transfer rate of 4.8Gb/s (600MB/s).

...S

SHans19
Beginner

Hello - Thanks for the info. On my board, DQ77MK, the mSATA is described as: One PCI Express Full-/Half-Mini Card from the PCH (supporting mSATA). The manual doesn't say whether the mSATA runs at 6 gbs or 3 gbs. Their also is 1 internal SATA that is (multiplexes with the mSATA port, routed to the PCI Express Full-/Half-Mini Card slot). Again the manual doesn't say whether this SATA runs at 6 gbs or 3 gbs. Sam Sent from my Galaxy Tab A
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You're right, unfortunately. I keep forgetting that it wasn't until the 8 Series chipsets that they had SATA III 6Gb/s support across all 6 lanes. It is a SATA II lane that they routed to the mSATA connector (see diagram on page 17 of the TPS). That was a poor decision, if you ask me; this means only 3Gb/s max transfer capability.

...S

SHans19
Beginner

Thanks a bunch Scott. Now instead of going with a mSATA drive I'll stick with my original plan of an SSD drive connected to one of the SATA 3 ports. Sam