Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ABuht
Beginner

When installing Network Drivers, it is unable to complete the installation because it requires me to uninstall the previous version even though there are no network adapters installed.

Operating system is Win7 64 bit. Motherboard is Intel DP67BG.

Under the device manager, there is no Network Adapter installed.

Under the Control Panel > Programs there is listed "Intel(R) Network Connections 15.7.176.0", however, it cannot find the relevant files to be able to uninstall the program.

I am trying to run LAN_WIN7_64_PROWin_19.1.exe. The installer cannot complete because "The installed version of Intel(R) Network Connections is not supported for upgrades. You must uninstall it before installing this version."

I got into this mess by running Windows Update, which deleted my Ethernet Controller, then restarted which meant it forgot how to reach the router, effectively isolating it from the internet. I am using a laptop to submit this question.

Please, is there anyone out there who can help me? I can find no other options.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Have you tried deleting the existing driver from within Device Manager? Make sure you select the option to delete the software along with the driver.

Hope this helps,

...S

ABuht
Beginner

Thank you for your assistance, the problem I am facing is a little complex. In the Device Manager, the Ethernet Controller shows up with no drivers under Other Devices.

I have attempted to uninstall from the Device Manager, and while it disappears from the list temporarily, I am unable to complete the installation of new drivers because the installer tells me I have to uninstall the older drivers.

Under Programs, I can find the Intel Network Connections I mentioned above, but the uninstaller references a folder on the drive that just simply isn't there, so the un-installation fails.

When I attempt to run the executable to install new drivers, that fails because the system tells me there is a driver that needs to be uninstalled.

I am seeing some cases of similar disabling of Ethernet on Win10 systems that received recent updates, but not a lot of information on what to do if this happens on a Win7 system.

Right now, if I try to troubleshoot my internet connection on the desktop system, it tells me to check that the Ethernet cable is plugged in...

ABuht
Beginner

Based on what I am finding when I search for related problems, it seems I may have to edit the registry to get rid of references of the older driver, but I have no experience or confidence to do so safely.

Am I on the right track? If so, what information do I need? Is there a better way to do this?

I just need to find a way to get my desktop system to be able to access it's Ethernet card.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, you are on the right track. Intel has a page describing the process necessary: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005781/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products....

If you are uncomfortable with this process, ask your friends and neighbors if any have experience at this level. If not, another option is to take the machine (and a printout of this linked page) to a Computer Repair Shop; there should be someone there who can handle this level of change.

Hope this helps,

...S