Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Where To Install SSD On DH61BE?

Jump to solution

Gentlemen,

I recently got a small PC from a medical office. It has a DH61BE system board and a Samsung 122GB Pro Series SSD. I want to do a clean install of Win7 Prox64 on the existing SSD. I notice that it is currently installed on the Secondary SATA Controller running under IDE mode.

Is there some reason why I should just leave The SSD where it is rather than connecting it to SATA 0 under AHCI mode? This was originally installed by a private computer vendor by people who are far more tech savvy than I am, so I'm wondering whether, for some reason, the SSD should be left connected as it is.

One other thing: Does anyone know where I can get a download of the Product Guide and Quick Reference Guide for this board? I tried the links to these documents on the Intel Product Documentation page for this board but the file the links connect with are corrupted or incomplete.

Thank you for your interest!

Grant

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User

Put the SSD on SATA0, set mode to AHCI,

I have no idea why it was setup as it was. If you are doing a clean install, then it does not matter. The worst that can happen is that it will fail.

Doc
Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Put the SSD on SATA0, set mode to AHCI,

I have no idea why it was setup as it was. If you are doing a clean install, then it does not matter. The worst that can happen is that it will fail.

Doc
Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Doc!

I will accept your seconding of my vote for SATA 0 under AHCI and see what happens. If it fails I can just hook it up where it was to begin with and start over.

If anyone else reading this has a different opinion, even though I've accepted Doc's post as the answer, please post anyway and explain why you disagree with the answer.

The Product Guide question has been resolved also.

Thanks, Doc!

Grant

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I thought that I would cap this off by answering my own initial question.

Since getting the user manual for this board I found out that the SSD was indeed in the right place to begin with. It is connected to one of two blue SATA connectors which support 6GB per second transfer rates as opposed to the black SATA connectors (which includes SATA0) which only support 3GB per second transfer rates -- okay for a HDD but not for a SSD.

As far as operating under IDE mode goes, I think that was just a default selected by the Secondary SATA Controller and the company that installed the system possibly didn't take the time or individual attention to override the default and select AHCI, which is an available option.

When I get the time to play with it and do my own installation, I'll install it under AHCI. If there are any issues, I can always reinstall under IDE which I know works. To minimize issues under AHCI I'll probably install the appropriate version of Intel's Rapid Storage Technology.

Grant

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

You will get better performance if you select AHCI.

...S

0 Kudos