Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11460 Discussions

Which Board to Use instead of Intel DH61WW Desktop Board ?

ManiGopal
Novice

I need a Info,

I have been using Intel DH61WW Motherboard with i3-2nd Gen Processor (DDR3)

Recently my Motherboard Stopped working. I am looking for Alternative & heard that Intel stopped Desktop Boards manufacturing so could you suggest alternate Boards which i should go for ?

On my Search i found few Motherboards but not sure about it. Here is the list,

1. Zebronics H61 Motherboard @ amazon.in/Zebronics-H61-

2. Intel DH67BL Motherboard @ amazon.in/dp/B004H50298/

3. Gigabyte GA-H61M-S Intel 3rd Motherboard / Intel H61 Chipset / Socket 115 / PCI-EX 16 Generation 3 / Micro ATX @ amazon.in/Gigabyte-Ga-H6

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

In order to use your 2nd gen Intel Core processor, you must have a board that utilizes either a 6 Series or possibly 7 Series chipset. This could be any of the boards equipped with Z68, P67, H67, Q67, H65, B65 or H61. It could also be any of the boards equipped with Z77, H77, Q77 or B75 chipset, provided that the board also has BIOS- and Management Engine-level support for 2nd gen Intel Core processors.

All of the Intel Desktop boards have been discontinued, though there are a few that pop up on Amazon and elsewhere now and then. As for the ones that you found, the H61 chipset has less features and is lower performance than the other chipsets. For highest performance, I would recommend looking for a Z68 or Z77 board, but I do not see any available on Amazon India. The H67 or H77 is an acceptable alternative. I see DH67BL and DH77EB boards on Amazon India.

I know that money is tight, but I would point out that this is a *very* aged processor - so aged that there are more-modern Atom processors that can match its performance (though I am not necessarily recommending an Atom processor to you). I might recommend that you look to purchase a new processor that is 5th gen or newer. The 2nd, 3rd and soon 4th gen processors are discontinued and not fully supported with Windows 10 (and will NEVER be supported with Windows 11). 5th, 6th and 7th gen processors are also not going to be supported by Windows 11, so I would recommend upgrading to at least an 8th gen processor. Of course, if you are going to use Linux, all of these generations are supported.

Hope this helps,

...S

ManiGopal
Novice

I understand your sayings the problem is that i have DDR3 - 4 + 2GB DDR3 1333mHz working condition also i3-2nd gen Processor works good  for me. Thats the only reason i would like to go for change of motherboard for another 3years usage later would be buying a New Branded Board / Processor etc which ever is best at the time.

n_scott_pearson

Here's the problem: the money you spend now doing minor upgrades to this machine is money you won't have later to do a major upgrade. There's a saying for this: throwing good money for bad. If you cannot afford a major upgrade now, don't upgrade anything. Nurse it along until you have the money for the major upgrade. Think: you'll get to the major upgrade point a lot faster.

Off my soapbox now...

...S

ManiGopal
Novice

@n_scott_pearson 

If possible could you suggest me from amazon.in

Actually when i asked for service person at local. They said they could fix it around Rs. 2500 instead of making it ready i could go for New one. So could you suggest the Board

I have few links

Frontech H61 Motherboard FT-0473 @ https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08THTFW51/

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard @ https://www.amazon.in/dp/B004ZQ6F7C/

Zebronics H61 Motherboard @ https://www.amazon.in/dp/B074PRPTTF/

Intel DH67BL Motherboard @ https://www.amazon.in/dp/B004H50298/

n_scott_pearson

I have never heard of Frontech or Zebronics, so cannot comment on them. As for the others, the MSI board is unavailable and the Intel board seems to be open box or used.

Honestly, I can't recommend anything. As I said, I think this is a waste of money. Time to really upgrade.

...S