Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Which Raid controller for my Motherboard?

Jump to solution

I work with videos and i'm getting out of space... so I need a big, fast storage volume, but a NAS would be too expensive to me.

So i was thinking about buying some 8TB hard drives and putting them under Raid 6 inside my PC with Windows 7 (or i can upgrade to 10 if needed).

My motherboard is MSI X79A-DG45 (8D) with an Intel I7-3930K CPU.

Many researches on the web suggest me that i need a Raid Controller...so here are the key features:

• Is there any Intel Raid Controller compatible with my motherboard i can use to accomplish this? Plan B is to upgrade the Motherboard.
  • I would love to keep the storage outside the case, in a drive bay.
  • It must be scalable. Now i'm planning an 8 8TB hard disks in raid 6, which means 48TB available, but in 3-4 years i might need twice that space...and i would love to simply buy more hard drives and connect them.

What could you suggest?

Thank you

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

There is a RAID controller build into your chipset. You simply enable RAID in your BIOS and set up the array. Unfortunately, enabling RAID likely will mean having to reinstall your O/S. As well, the drives would need to be inside the system's chassis for this to work, so likely this is not the solution you want.

There are external chassis available that can be connected via eSATA or USB 3.0. In many cases, what bays they provide are the limit of the expansion. You really need to be looking at the NAS solutions; they are not that much more expensive that the external chassis RAID solutions in this class (but they do provide expansion paths).

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

There is a RAID controller build into your chipset. You simply enable RAID in your BIOS and set up the array. Unfortunately, enabling RAID likely will mean having to reinstall your O/S. As well, the drives would need to be inside the system's chassis for this to work, so likely this is not the solution you want.

There are external chassis available that can be connected via eSATA or USB 3.0. In many cases, what bays they provide are the limit of the expansion. You really need to be looking at the NAS solutions; they are not that much more expensive that the external chassis RAID solutions in this class (but they do provide expansion paths).

...S

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, All:

N.Scott.Pearson, thank you for your feedback.

AlbertoFontana, please refer to the previous post, and let us know if it helped you.

Regards,

Amy.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, AlbertoFontana:

Were you able to set the array?

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Amy. Nope, we decided to buy a NAS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Well, I am glad to hear that! The best of luck to you.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos