Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JODel
Novice

Which internal SATA port works as an eSATA port on the DH98MC board?

I'm trying to get an external back up drive to hook up as as eSATA instead of USB. According to the Intel description here: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh67bl.h... Intel® Desktop Board DH67BL ,one port will work as eSATA, but doesn't identify which port it is. Thanks! Jim.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NSCOTT_P_Intel
Employee

Jim,

DH98MC? No such board...

On DH67BL, there are actually two SATA ports that support eSATA, one external (on the back panel) and one internal. Here are the chipset port assignments:

SATA0 (6G) Blue SATA Connector 1

SATA1 (6G) Blue SATA Connector 2

SATA2 (3G) Black SATA Connector 1

SATA3 (3G) Black SATA Connector 2

SATA4 (3G) Red SATA Connector

SATA5 (3G) Red eSATA Connector (Rear Panel).

Bottom line, look for red connectors...

...Scott

JODel
Novice

My bad! Fingers were one slot to the right....DH87MC. The DH67BL has a red eSATA slot on the motherboard. The DH55HC that I use for my rig has 2 red eSATA slots on the board. The DH87MC has only black ones. The information I read somewhere for this board says one of the 6 slots is eSATA compatible, they just don't say which slot.

Sorry for the typo confusion! Jim.

JODel
Novice

So if there are no red ports on the board, then what I read about one being eSATA compatible was a typo. I have one of the back panel plates with an eSATA receptacle on the exterior and SATA end on the attached cable, but that didn't work either. Also tried a SATA to eSATA cable with no luck. Are there adapters that will work available? This is my wife's computer and she bought a Seagate, not sure which model. I don't mind spending a few dollars to shorten the backup time. Takes about an hour on USB2 (one of the setups the back up drive was designed for). Thanks for the note! Jim.

JODel
Novice

Just to update you, I got some help from someone at the Annandtech forums. He had me turn the computer off, hook up the eSATA cable to the plate with the eSATA receptacle plugged into the SATA board receptacle, then power the computer back up. Works fine. Guess this isn't hot swappable in this format. Any, just wanted to update and hope this might help someone else. Jim.

NSCOTT_P_Intel
Employee

Jim,

Actually, on the DH87MC board, things change drastically. You can use *any* of the SATA ports as an eSATA port. What you need to do is go into Visual BIOS, select ADVANCED (at the top), select DEVICES, select SATA and then click to enable Hot-Swap on the SATA port(s) that you want to use for eSATA. You should then be off to the races...

...Scott

JODel
Novice

Thanks Scott! I did that trick last night while I was "correcting" my Programs (86) now gone snafu. Thank goodness for the clone backups I keep!!!!! I appreciate your help! Jim.