Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IAhlm
Beginner

Which of these two drivers should i install on my P5Q-E?

I've got an old "Asus P5Q-E" motherboard and i wonder if i should install Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver V8.9.0.1023 and Intel(R) AHCI/RAID Driver Disk 7 (which i've done everytime i've done a clean install of Windows 7 up til now) or the much newer drivers called Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver? I don't use my two ssds in a RAID configuration and the older one seems to support both AHCI ands RAID, that's why im asking, .

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9550

SSD: Intel 530 series 120GB

Ram: 8GB DDR2 800mhz

GPU: Asus GTX770

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IAhlm
Beginner

Anyone?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You can try installing the newer one. If it will not work on your hardware, the installer should, in theory, tell you so. If it works, you will get the benefit of any bug fixes that have been included since the original. Not sure whether this will improve your performance any, however...

...S

IAhlm
Beginner

How/where can i check if this is the driver i'v suppose to install?

n_scott_pearson

Officially, you should be asking Asus this question. This forum is for Intel's Desktop Board products. Other board vendors are responsible for providing you with this kind of support...

IAhlm
Beginner

Intel made the SATA controllers though, that's why i'm asking here

n_scott_pearson

Well, you have come to the wrong forum for this query. Go to the Chipset forum and ask the question there if you really, really want an official answer from Intel (if indeed they will provide one; they are not going to give an official answer if this is a configuration they haven't explicitly tested).

I personally would just try it and see; it should abort the install if the hardware is insufficient to support, or is incompatible with, the new(er) driver. If you do try, make sure you have a backup you can recover from if something goes wrong -- and make sure you can actually restore from this backup beforehand; I have seen situations where, when folks get to the point where they actually need to use a backup, they discover that they cannot recover using them. If you are doing a fresh install anyway, no harm no foul; if it doesn't work, just start again...

...S