Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scorpio
Beginner

Why Can't I Access the BIOS

After enabling the UEFI parameter in the BIOS I cannot get back into the BIOS using the F2 key. All I get is a blank screen with an E8_ in the lower right hand corner of the monitor. Even using the B2B switch on the board yields the same results. Same with the configuration jumper, even trying to get to a boot menu yields the same thing. The boards diagnostics code says E9-Entering BIOS setup. Basically I get a blank screen with an E8 or E9 no matter what I do.

I have removed all memory modules, used a tethered keyboard and removed all connections and all add-in boards. NO JOY!!!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, what board do you have?

Does the board have onboard graphics and are you using an add-on video card?

What is your processor model number? Did you attempt to upgrade your processor?

What operating system? Windows 10? What version? 1903?

Also, enabling UEFI if your OS was built with legacy will cause you problems. But, that is another no joy episode yet to come.

Provide some real detail for assistance.

Doc

Scorpio
Beginner

​I have the DX79si with 16 GB of memory and I have an NVIDIA GTX970. I am running Windows 7UE. My processor is the extreme edition of the i7 3960x. I enabled the UEFI because I was having trouble installing Windows 10 Pro, but it turned out that it was to many external USB connections that was the problem. When I tried to go back into the BIOS is when I couldn't get back in. My boot drive is removable and the Win10 installation is on a separate drive.

Scorpio
Beginner

​One other note, I removed the CMOS battery for over 4 hours...no JOY! Also when I flash with configuration jumper off,  it completes all task successfully. I have flashed this with all the version of BIOS code that have been released. Other than not being able to get into the BIOS the system runs great!

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Set the Yellow jumper in Configure position (between pins 2-3). See page 58 in Technical Product Specification https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/dx79si/dx79si_techpro...
  2. Power ON your computer and press on F2. The maintenance menu should appear.
  3. Press F9 followed by "Y" to set bios to default settings and then F10 confirmed by "Y" to save settings and exit from bios.
  4. Power down your computer, disconnect the power and replace the jumper to Normal position (pins 1-2)

Leon

Scorpio
Beginner

​LWAKSMAN...that did not work, I still got the blank screen but this time with an E7_ in lower right hand corner. Mother board code of E9.

I'm beginning to think the BIOS is hosed up.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

E7 means waiting for user input. Seeing this as the last POST Code would indicate that everything is working but the graphics is going to somewhere else (i.e. possibly the GTX970 is not handling UEFI mode well.

E8 means that it is somehow past the input stage and is checking out the password entered. Do you have a password installed?

E9 means entering BIOS Setup. This may also indicate that it is having a problem with the graphics. Does your monitor support 1024x768 mode?

...S

Scorpio
Beginner

​Well the code that shows on the monitor is different than the one that is on the diagnostic post on the motherboard, I still have the 'Status Code Summary' document that came with the board. Up until I enabled that option in the BIOS I was always able to enter into the BIOS with my wireless keyboard with everything attached. I have the Samsung T260 25" Display, so yes it supports 1024 x 768 and higher.

Given that UEFI was designed to eventually replace BIOS ROM it seems that enabling that might have partitioned the ROM area. I did noticed that if I look at device manager >> View >> show hidden devices >> Non-Plug and Play Drivers that I see a 'Efi Variable Service' driver, that wasn't there before because I screenshot this device tree many years ago and compared it. The properties says that this is removed on shutdown and reinstalled on startup.

Still, the system runs fine but the B2B switch will not force the system into the BIOS and it used to, so I suspect a larger problem is lurking.

AlHill
Super User

Are you assuming that just because the display is 25" that it supports 1024x768, or do you know for certain from the documentation that it supports 1024x768? I looked (briefly) and did not see supported resolutions.

UEFI is not a complete bios. It is just a set of firmware components from which a bios can be implemented.

Find yourself a simple monitor that is known to have 1024x768 and test.

Doc

Scorpio
Beginner

​I have the documentation and it says that it supports that mode. The BIOS splash screen is  800 x 600 and that is displayed OK, the VGA core that is built in to all video cards also displays the ROM headers for the add-in cards that I see during boot-up...if those modes were not supported they wouldn't be visible.

n_scott_pearson

Understand that, if the monitor does not support 1024x768, then Visual BIOS will *not* display. You'll get a blank screen and nothing else.

...S​

Scorpio
Beginner

​The screen is blank with the exception of the E7 / E8 in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This monitor goes to a slow blink when it is not getting the sync signal from the video card, when it receives the sync it briefly displays the connection type. Every one of the keystrokes (F2, F7, and F10) yields the same result. Using the configuration jumper does the same thing, with no jumper it will flash the BIOS and I can see the steps and everything says it was successful. When I flash I thought I was getting a BIOS at default values, but flashing and clearing CMOS doesn't work.

n_scott_pearson

Every one of these observations is consistent with the monitor not supporting 1024x768. Of course, this makes no sense as you were using this same monitor and same video card when you enabled UEFI (right?). Do you have another video card that you could try?

You said that you were seeing different POST codes being displayed on the board's LCD display. Can you capture this sequence and post it here?

When you perform a BIOS Update - even if via BIOS Recovery process - every effort is made to retain the BIOS configuration that was there previously. The only way that this can become inconsistent (and essentially require a F9 restore-defaults to properly reset) is if a particular BIOS introduces a fundamental change in the configuration parameters supported. This only very rarely needs to be done (and I can find no record of it ever having occurred with this board).

Similarly, since the BIOS configuration is being stored in flash memory, clearing the CMOS memory is not, in theory, going to affect its contents. Clearing CMOS memory is, in theory, only used to indicate to the BIOS that it *needs* a configuration reset (oh, and clear the clock).

...S

Scorpio
Beginner

​I was stating what the monitor WOULD do if it was passed a resolution that it didn't support. BIOS and ROM headers are passed in either 640 x 480 or 800 x 600, are you implying that the BIOS screens are 1024 x 768?  I do not have another video card. I was looking at BIOS screens when I set that UEFI flag, it isn't a problem with the video card.

When I clear CMOS I do get the message about the battery failure, date & time not being set and to Y to run setup...in what ever resolution that is. Pressing Y just gets me to the blank screen with E8_ in the bottom right corner. The B2B switch doesn't render the BIOS screen either. I need a flash ROM that is loaded with default values because that UEFI flag isn't a default value.

HELLO INTEL ENGINEERING!!!!!            IS ANYBODY HOME??????

n_scott_pearson

Correct; BIOS Setup requires 1024x768.

T​he Desktop Boards business was shutdown in 2014. There literally is no one home. Regardless, there is no way to deliver what you are asking for anyway as the design and security requirements preclude it.

Y​ou need to try using a different graphics card and/or monitor. There is no other option (barring replacing the board).

S​orry,

...S

Scorpio
Beginner

​Well, I got access to the BIOS back after removing and reseating the memory modules and all add-in cards except the video card, still used my wireless keyboard and same monitor. I disabled the UEFI Boot flag, of course that rendered my Windows 10 installation disk unbootable that was installed with that flag enabled.

I noticed that with that flag enabled the disk setup portion created 3 partitions and with it disabled it only created 2.

TMorg4
Beginner

Clear the motherboards CMOS. Be sure to unplug the computer's power cable from the computer, move the CMOS jumper to the "clear" position or remove the battery for a few minutes. Reposition the CMOS jumper and power up the system... If you can now get into the bios, check and see if your hard drive are being detected...

--

Terrance

Scorpio
Beginner

TMorg4 it's fixed, nothing you suggested worked, I had already tried that multiple times.​ I think it was those memory sticks, I left them out for about a half hour.