Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Will flashing DH61WW (AA: G23116-206) with BIOS 0099 up from 0044 still give me support for i5-2320 processor?

Jump to solution

Will flashing DH61WW (AA: G23116-206) with BIOS 0099 up from 0044 still give me support for i5-2320 processor?

When I flashed from the original 0038 to 0046 it gave me the message "Unsupported Processor" at powerup time (and prevented the OS from loading).

Then I had to go through the complicated recovery procedure back to 0042 (because 0038 was not available to end users) which gave me Management Engine version 0.0.0.0 and an unusable board, until at last, by trial and error on version numbers, I was able to flash 0044 using the recovery procedure, so that the i5-2320 processor was recognized and the motherboard was functional again.

Now I want to correct the PS/2 keyboard issue that 0113 corrects but per the 0113 instructions I have to flash 0099 first. However I am afraid that if I upgrade to version 0099 I will lose processor support again (since it happenned to me every time I tried a BIOS which had the 3rd Generation Core Processor Support Warning on the Relase Notes.pdf).

Can someone from Intel please confirm this, I hate bricked motherboards because they (1) force me to buy another Windows license, (2) make me think of not buying the same brand of motherboard again. Thanks in advance,

Miguel

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Will flashing DH61WW (AA: G23116-206) with BIOS 0099 up from 0044 still give me support for i5-2320 processor?

Jump to solution

There is a new BIOS version 0116 that you may want to try. You can download the file on the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel%20Desktop%20Board%20DH61be... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel%20Desktop%20Board%20DH61be...

This download is valid for the product(s) listed below. Intel® Desktop Board DH61BE

Intel® Desktop Board DH61CR

Intel® Desktop Board DH61DL

Intel® Desktop Board DH61SA

Intel® Desktop Board DH61WW

Intel® Desktop Board DH61ZE

• Fixed issue where SATA3 ports are unstable for operating system installation.
  • Fixed issue where USB ports randomly fail.
  • Fixed issue where PS/2 keyboard LED does not turn off when system is off.
  • Fixed issue where PCIe slot 2 loses functionality when LAN is disabled. PCIe Slot 3 can be selected when inserting device into PCIe slot 2.
  • Fixed issue where PS/2 devices still work in the operating system when the PS/2 port is disabled in BIOS.

Remember:

If your system's current BIOS version is 0048 or earlier, you must first update to version 0099 before updating to 0109 or later.

BIOS version 0099 added support for Microsoft Windows 8*. Due to structural changes in this BIOS version, once a board has been converted to this version or later, it will no longer be possible to downgrade the BIOS to version 0048 or earlier. Attempting a BIOS downgrade to a previous version may fail – the board BIOS will remain at its current version.

Regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Re: Will flashing DH61WW (AA: G23116-206) with BIOS 0099 up from 0044 still give me support for i5-2320 processor?

Jump to solution

Hi Mfonseca,

BIOS version 0099 adds support for Microsoft Windows 8*. Due to structural changes in this BIOS version, once a board has been converted to this version or later, it will no longer be possible to downgrade the BIOS to version 0048 or earlier. Attempting a BIOS downgrade to a previous version may fail – the board BIOS will remain at its current version.

So, please try the following: Load default settings first, and right after that try to use the BIOS update F7 method (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-030144.htm?wapkw=desktop+f7+method Desktop Boards — Instructions for F7 BIOS Flash update) to update it to 0099, then 0111 and at the end use the 0113 BIOS version found in our download center:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22DH61WW%22&DownloadType=BIOS Download Center

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Jump to solution

Flashing 0099 with F7 broke the 82579V Gigabit LAN (made MAC address 00-00-00-00-00-00... is it normal? I wondered...

Also the power LED went off even though the PC was turned on and functioning. Windows redetected almost every single device attached to the computer. Intel Desktop Utilities stopped working correctly (fans were reordered by the new BIOS). I uninstalled the drivers for the gigabit LAN, and the Intel Desktop Utilities. Then used Wise Registry Cleaner to eliminate any traces of previous software installations, and rebooted.

Then I boldly went on to flash 0111 with the F7 method and it didn't print any trace of activity, suddenly the PC went off and then it seemed like it was sleeping... but not! The PC rebooted with the power LED on and with the MAC address problem corrected. Also I had noticed on previous BIOS versions, the order of the disks under Disk Management in Windows 7 changed every time I rebooted the PC but now the disk order problem is gone and I can find my disks under \\.\PhysicalDriveN in the same order they are attached to the controller's ports!!! (This one is another reason why I wanted to try the new BIOS, so I could at last have persistent disk ordering in order to do VirtualBox with raw access to physical disks in a sane fashion).

Ruben, thanks a lot, you rule!

Now, about BE_0113, I haven't flashed that yet, I notice again "Upgraded Processor Support" is in the fixes list. Will it make me lose support for 2nd Gen Core i5-2320 processor again, or it means that now, with the new BIOS image format, in BE_0113, ALL 2nd AND 3rd Generation processors are supported? The way processor support works in BIOS updates, which by the way is accumulative, is still not clear from the documentation (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22516/eng/BE_0113_ReleaseNotes.pdf http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22516/eng/BE_0113_ReleaseNotes.pdf).

Thanks again,

Miguel

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi mfonseca,

With BIOS version 0109 we fixed issue where the list of Boot Drive Order is incorrect. So it would be necessary to downgrade the BIOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Jump to solution

Disk ordering is okay in BE0111. What I mean is that I didn't see the fix for disk ordering listed in the relase notes. Now, about 0113, it says "Upgraded Processor Support": will it make me lose support for 2nd Gen Core i5-2320 processor again, or it means that now with the new BIOS image format all 2nd AND 3rd Generation processors are covered? How processor support works is still unclear in the documentation.

Miguel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Same problem happened with me when i upgraded to bios 0099 but I hv successfully recovered my PC.

You cannot down grade your bios , so update it to latest version (0113) , after this the boot screen flashes and it appears again and again. To solve this problem you have to install OS again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Jump to solution

Since I had flashed up to 0111 and nobody answered if 0113 would break processor support, I followed Ruben's instructions and flashed 0113. Then it broke the sound and the PCI slot. Trying to recover down to 0111 didn't help and at last recovering to 0099 bricked the motherboard. Is there any way to recover this? I'm located in Costa Rica, any chance the plant here could fix it?

Miguel

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello Miguel,

Since the BIOS updated did not fix you issue, neither a BIOS recovery, I recommended you to contact your local support group for assistance: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport?group=processor http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport?group=processor

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

There is a new BIOS version 0116 that you may want to try. You can download the file on the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel%20Desktop%20Board%20DH61be... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel%20Desktop%20Board%20DH61be...

This download is valid for the product(s) listed below. Intel® Desktop Board DH61BE

Intel® Desktop Board DH61CR

Intel® Desktop Board DH61DL

Intel® Desktop Board DH61SA

Intel® Desktop Board DH61WW

Intel® Desktop Board DH61ZE

• Fixed issue where SATA3 ports are unstable for operating system installation.
  • Fixed issue where USB ports randomly fail.
  • Fixed issue where PS/2 keyboard LED does not turn off when system is off.
  • Fixed issue where PCIe slot 2 loses functionality when LAN is disabled. PCIe Slot 3 can be selected when inserting device into PCIe slot 2.
  • Fixed issue where PS/2 devices still work in the operating system when the PS/2 port is disabled in BIOS.

Remember:

If your system's current BIOS version is 0048 or earlier, you must first update to version 0099 before updating to 0109 or later.

BIOS version 0099 added support for Microsoft Windows 8*. Due to structural changes in this BIOS version, once a board has been converted to this version or later, it will no longer be possible to downgrade the BIOS to version 0048 or earlier. Attempting a BIOS downgrade to a previous version may fail – the board BIOS will remain at its current version.

Regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos