Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Will xeon e3-1240 work on dh61ww board?

Hello, I currently have dh61ww board. Recently I got a offer to buy xeon e3-1240 so I checked the compatibility and at least on intel website it doesn't show that it supports it but it said that the board does support a bunch of other sandy bridge based xeon cpus. It seemed kinda strange to me why this one wouldn't work so I looked up different websites and the information was conflicting some were saying it was fine, others said it won't work. It wouldn't matter much if I could just test it but the seller lives a fair bit away and I don't want to waste a whole day driving around for nothing...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Well yes as I stated I've checked the compatibility on intel's website and it doesn't show that it supports it, but it does support other xeons from sandy bridge architecture so it seems kinda strange that this one wouldn't be supported, because the only difference between those processors is different clock speeds and whether they have hyper-threading or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If the processor is not in the list, it may simply not have existed when the board was launched. If this processor fits in between two existing supported processors and is similarly identified (CPUID), then there is a chance that it will work just fine. I say chance because it is possible that it is close enough to others that it is initialized ok and may even work in the runtime environment (i.e. boot Windows or Linux), but - and this is a big 'but' - because it is not in the list of supported processors, the BIOS may not load updated microcode onto this processor - which means that existing errata in this processor's silicon or its original microcode will still be exposed and may either immediately or eventually cause unexpected results.

Clear as mud?

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Yeah it was great explanation but I decided to take a risk and bought that processor anyway. The cpu turned out to be working as intended so far the only issue I encountered was that windows displayed my old cpu name instead of the new one (issue I never encountered before when changing processors) but after using it for a day everything seems to be stable. I don't know whether I got lucky or Intel somehow forgot to include the processor but I'm satisfied nonetheless.

0 Kudos

That's actually not a good sign. It means that the BIOS is not recognizing the processor. As I said, this may or may not be a problem. It could mean that the BIOS is not properly initializing the processor and it could mean that the BIOS is not loading microcode updates for it. For this latter issue, the saving grace may be that support for loading microcode updates is included in Linux and now in Windows (as a result of the Spectre/Meltdown issues and board/system manufacturers refusing to release BIOS updates for their older products).

...S

0 Kudos