cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Windows 10 compatibility wiwth DH67BL motherboard

Jump to solution

I just received my DH67BL motherboard and my friend is helping me install it tomorrow. I will be putting a GTX 960 into this motherboard and I understand that I will need to update the BIOS of the motherboard to accept the card. Is this motherboard compatible with the WINDOWS 10 OS?

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Per the report (see: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005640.html Supported Operating Systems for Boards and Kits), this motherboard's last officially supported O/S is (was) Windows 7. Support for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is "As-Is" - which essentially means that, while some drivers supporting these O/Ss are available for this board, no validation of their operation was ever performed. Now, all this said, Windows 10 should run on this board, but compatibility issues may affect its operation. As well, since most of the Windows 10 drivers utilized will be the generic versions provided via Windows Update, there may be performance trade-offs. You can find links for some Windows 10 drivers that can be used with these boards, but these links may be found only under other (newer) products...

What processor will you be using? As paramountain will tell you, updating to the latest BIOS - which generally offers the highest level of compatibility with later O/Ss - will likely preclude you from being able to overclock 2nd generation Intel Core processors...

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted

Per the report (see: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005640.html Supported Operating Systems for Boards and Kits), this motherboard's last officially supported O/S is (was) Windows 7. Support for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is "As-Is" - which essentially means that, while some drivers supporting these O/Ss are available for this board, no validation of their operation was ever performed. Now, all this said, Windows 10 should run on this board, but compatibility issues may affect its operation. As well, since most of the Windows 10 drivers utilized will be the generic versions provided via Windows Update, there may be performance trade-offs. You can find links for some Windows 10 drivers that can be used with these boards, but these links may be found only under other (newer) products...

What processor will you be using? As paramountain will tell you, updating to the latest BIOS - which generally offers the highest level of compatibility with later O/Ss - will likely preclude you from being able to overclock 2nd generation Intel Core processors...

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I have a i7 3770k 3.4 ghz. I really don't mind that I can't overclock my CPU. I just want to use my GTX 960 and play fun games .

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That's a 3rd generation processor, so not subject to the same limitations.

I would add that you may run into compatibility problems with the GTX960. There are a few discussions regarding if/how to get around this issue...

....S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I saw on amazing (http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-Board-Micro-ATX-Factor/dp/B004Q7JRJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456... http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-Board-Micro-ATX-Factor/dp/B004Q7JRJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456...…) - people were saying that their GTX 970 worked fine in the motherboard. So how would there be a issue? would it be the BIOS?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I replied to this comment but I replied to myself so you wouldjt get a notification. So check it out!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Many boards this old have compatibility issues with newer graphics cards. The compatibility issues fall into two categories,

1. BIOS has expectations that the graphics card's BIOS extension (OP-ROM) does not meet. In this case, you can often still boot to Windows and use the graphics card (though sometimes only if you enable UEFI). You won't have a way of entering BIOS Setup, however. You will have to remove the graphics card and use on-board graphics if you need to go into BIOS Setup and make any configuration changes.
  2. The graphics card has expectations that the board cannot meet. Some graphics cards absolutely require PCIe 3.0 support, but this board has only PCIe 2.0 support. There is no getting around this issue if you run into it...

All (for example) GTX960 graphics cards are not created alike. One will work just fine while another, seemingly identical, will run into one of these issues.

Be forewarned...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks very much! I know that this GPU has backwards compatibility with 3.0 and 2.0!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello amesly,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

I hope the information provided above can help you building your system. If you need anything else please let me know.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos