Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rchen68
Beginner

X79 is better or C602 is a better chipset for performance?

Jump to solution

which one is more powerful?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

'More Powerful' is not a term you use with the chipset (PCH component). The chipset provides the I/O interconnects that the processor (where the word 'powerful' does apply) needs to talk to various components. From a performance standpoint, these two chipsets are virtually identical; both are derivatives of the same (Patsburg) core. Where they differ is in the I/O interconnects and other capabilities that they offer. Thus, a better term to use when comparing chipsets is perhaps "More Capable".

Here is a comparison of the two chipsets: http://ark.intel.com/compare/63984,64015 Intel® Product Specification Comparison. The differences are as follows:

• The C602 supports a larger set of PCIe configurations (2x4, 4x2 and 8x1 versus the X79's 1x4, 4x1 and 8x1).
  • The C602 supports 10 SATA lands whereas the X79 supports only 6.
  • The C602, if combined with an appropriate Xeon processor, supports vPro technology. The X79 does not, regardless of the processor present.
  • Similarly, the C602, if combined with an appropriate Xeon processor, supports TXT. The X79 does not, regardless of the processor present.

Bottom line. the C602 chipset is 'more capable', but it is not 'more powerful'...

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

11 Replies
n_scott_pearson

'More Powerful' is not a term you use with the chipset (PCH component). The chipset provides the I/O interconnects that the processor (where the word 'powerful' does apply) needs to talk to various components. From a performance standpoint, these two chipsets are virtually identical; both are derivatives of the same (Patsburg) core. Where they differ is in the I/O interconnects and other capabilities that they offer. Thus, a better term to use when comparing chipsets is perhaps "More Capable".

Here is a comparison of the two chipsets: http://ark.intel.com/compare/63984,64015 Intel® Product Specification Comparison. The differences are as follows:

• The C602 supports a larger set of PCIe configurations (2x4, 4x2 and 8x1 versus the X79's 1x4, 4x1 and 8x1).
  • The C602 supports 10 SATA lands whereas the X79 supports only 6.
  • The C602, if combined with an appropriate Xeon processor, supports vPro technology. The X79 does not, regardless of the processor present.
  • Similarly, the C602, if combined with an appropriate Xeon processor, supports TXT. The X79 does not, regardless of the processor present.

Bottom line. the C602 chipset is 'more capable', but it is not 'more powerful'...

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

rchen68
Beginner

Thank you. Another thing troubled me is:

Xeon 1650 V2 has a Max Lane of 40, but it seems both X79 and C602 has a Max lane of 8 . Is this compatible ????

n_scott_pearson

This processor is connected to the chipset via the DMI2 bus. The chipset (PCH component) utilizes the throughput capabilities of the DMI2 bus to support both "internal" devices (USB, SATA, etc.) and "external" devices connected to the 8 PCIe lanes that it exposes. Separately, the processor has 40 PCIe lanes that it directly exposes to PCIe devices. This means that a total of 48 PCIe lanes are available for PCIe device connection.

...S

rchen68
Beginner

Thank you. If I compare C602J (mac pro) with Z170 (a 7700K CPU), I found that Z170 has a max lan of 16, while C602J only have a max lan of 8.

Isn't C602J a way much better chipset/board than Z170?

n_scott_pearson

No, it isn't any better or worse; it is a matter of appropriateness. It all depends upon what your computing needs are and what processor you are pairing it with.

...S

rchen68
Beginner

Got it. All I'm doing now is try to compare which one is a more powerful system:

Xeion 1650 V2 + C602J (mac pro) V.S. 7700K+Z170

which system is more powerful?

n_scott_pearson

As I said, it depends upon what you are using the system for. In general, a Xeon-based design will be better for transactional or "big data" (workstation-level) processing. What you need to remember, however, is that this Xeon is a 3rd-generation Ivybridge derivative while the Core i7 is a 7th-generation Kaby Lake derivative. A *lot* of performance improvements have been made during the intervening years. It is likely that the Core i7 is going to absolutely kick the butt of this older Xeon (even with its additional cores)...

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello rockman413,

In this case, Xeon processors are used mostly for server systems and they are more used to run heavy applications, I7 processors are used mostly on desktop systems and it has integrated graphics.

N. Scott Pearson is right, this depends on what you need the system for and I think N. Scott Pearson provide with very good information about this products.

Best regards,

Ivan.

rchen68
Beginner

Thank you guys.

I'm doing Pro -Audio running Pro Tools HD, a professional software by Avid, which is a multi-core application. It also needs to communicate with HardDrive, Network Port, Ram, etc..

I can only consider 7700K because I need it to be portable , and I found one audio computer laptop has 7700K.

Considering XEON E5 1650 v2 or 1680 V2 is because I can use Mac Pro , which is also portable .

So as for pro audio use, not for gaming, which system , 7700K+Z170 v.s. E5 1650 v2+ C602J ?

One thing I could not understand is that I heard C602J is a better chipset but it only has 8 pcie lanes, while Z170, a cheaper motherboard has a max of 16.

idata
Community Manager

In this case, it depends what you need the system for, we don't consider a processor or chipset better than other, they have been made to work based on the customers or companies needs, at this point, for what you want to use the system for, the Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor should work ok but the Xeon processor can do this job as well.

Best regards,

Ivan.

idata
Community Manager

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.