cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FKnau
Beginner

XFX R9 280x and DP67BG: any hope?

Hello everyone,

I have running two graphics cards, Nvidia GTX460 and AMD HD6850 on Windows 7 sp1. I use the 460 for my monitor, and the 6850 for a little mining. Both work fine together. I recently purchased an XFX R9 280x, however, I can't seem to get it to work. After I install, along with the GTX460, it's recognized by device manager, but it does not show up in the video resolution dialog window. GPUz identifies the 280x, but clockspeed and voltage don't show. Also, when installed as the only card, it shows the boot screen, but after post, the screen goes dark, with a lonely 0_ showing in the lower right. The code on the board shows 00. The computer continues to load windows, but the monitor remains the same. I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers ad infinitum using Ccleaner and DDU, updated the BIOS, cleared the CMOS, and tried different PCIe slots. I even did a clean windows install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Board: DP67BG, core i7 2600; 16g RAM

Board Version: AAG10491-400

BIOS Version: BGP6710J.86A.2209.2012.0717.2302

Power supply: Thermaltake - SMART Series 850-Watt

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Prblmsau, I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your motherboard and this new video card, but it looks like a compatibility issue between these two devices.

However, you could check with the video card manufacture if a firmware updated would be necessary.

Could you please let me know which is the behavior of the system when you use only the XFX R9 280x? Are you able to access Windows?

FKnau
Beginner

Sylvia,

Thanks for your prompt reply. With just the 280x installed,the board boots fine and the splash screen is on the monitor until it handsoff to windows. Then the display freezes ("0_" showing on the bottom right of the monitor, "00" on the board) and Windows continues to load without any monitor output. Also, when when I boot with the 6850 and 280x installed, they both inhabit the same address, producing a Code 12 not enough resources message in device manager.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Prblmsau, did you check with XFX if the monitor needs a firmware update?

Would you test the monitor using the latest graphic drivers available https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23764&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23764&lang=eng

FKnau
Beginner

I tried the download link for the Intel HD Driver and got this:

I also have an open ticket with XFX.

Here is the system summary:

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 7 Home PremiumVersion6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601Other OS DescriptionNot AvailableOS ManufacturerMicrosoft CorporationSystem NameUPSTAIRS-PCSystem ManufacturerINTEL_System ModelBGP6710JSystem Typex64-based PCProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)BIOS Version/DateIntel Corp. BGP6710J.86A.2209.2012.0717.2302, 7/17/2012SMBIOS Version2.6Windows DirectoryC:\WindowsSystem DirectoryC:\Windows\system32Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume2LocaleUnited StatesHardware Abstraction LayerVersion = "6.1.7601.17514"User NameTime ZoneEastern Daylight TimeInstalled Physical Memory (RAM)16.0 GBTotal Physical Memory16.0 GBAvailable Physical Memory12.2 GBTotal Virtual Memory32.0 GBAvailable Virtual Memory26.6 GBPage File Space16.0 GBPage FileD:\pagefile.sys
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Would you please try installing the 32 bit graphics driver?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23763&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207...'

If it does not work, please follow the steps given on the following document.

/docs/DOC-22542 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22542

DCale1
Beginner

HI there Sylvia,

I asla have the same motherboard, and tried to install my new r9 2980x and get exactly the same error message while trying to boot.

the computer sounds like it continues to boot into windows, but just a black scree with "0_" at the bottom right holds.

have there been any advancements as to how this can be fixed? I'm so sad it isn't working!

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Daniel, may I have the model number of your processor?

DCale1
Beginner

HI Sylvia, thank you for such a quick reply!

my setup is:

Intel DP67BG MotherBoard

i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz 8-core CPU

16GB DDR3 RAM

GIGABYTE Power Supply 550W

WIndows 7 64bit

Bios version/Date: Intel Corp. BGP6710J.86A.2040.2011.0629.0142, 6/29/2011

SMBIOS Version 2.6

any thoughts? I assume the processor model numer is i7-2600K. Please let me know if it's something else.

Any help would be much much appreciated as I'm still having no luck.

thank you Sylvia!

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks a lot for the information Daniel.

I'm afraid to tell you that this could be a compatibility problem between your system and the video card. Remember that we try to make our products compatible to many 3rd components as possible; however we cannot guarantee compatibility with all of them.

These are some recommendation I could give you regarding this behavior.

Since you are running BIOS version 2040 please install the following versions in order to update the BIOS to the latest version available.

Just in case these are the latest video drives for your system, if you would like to install them and test the system after.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23884&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%0... HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1 64-bit https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23764&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%0... Download Center

In addition to that, please try using a bigger power supply.

TImam
Novice

Ok it is a bit late but here is the solution:

Your card is working fine but your OS needs to run the driver in order to that. Find another graphics card and install it on second port then install AMD Display Driver and reboot your computer the screen will remain black till log on screen(OS only runs graphic drivers after the boot sequence) and there you have it.

Another trick if your still not shows anything on bios you can choose which graphic card runs first choose the temporary one(the one in the second port) and you are good to go.

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Tanerimu:

Thank you for the feedback and workaround provided for this scenario.

For sure it is going to help future users having this issue.

Regards,

Esteban C